[IDV #KQT-389243]: Any way to smooth data going into 3D displays?

> Full Name: brian mapes
> Email Address: address@hidden
> Operating System: Mac OS X
> Hardware: Java: home: /Applications/IDV_5.0u1/jre.bundle/Contents/Home
> version: 1.7.0_51 j3d:1.6.0-pre9-daily-experimental daily
> Description of problem: Kevin Tyle and I are debating whether data can be
> smoothed (even if only horizontally) going into an isosurface display.
>
> I though I could do it using a save-to-cache step.
> But no, one can only save displayed data so creating the display is still a
> bottleneck.
> So I can't figure out how to apply smoothing to all levels to make a smoothed
> dataset.
>
> Is there some tactic?
> Surely with new jython, but perhaps with new derived.xml calls to the
> existying jython library?
> The skill set involved would be useful for us to know, although the "fix"
> isn't urgent.
>
> Thanks!
> Brian

Brian,
      You can use the smoothing formula to smooth a specific level of 3D field
and create an isosurface display. But, the isosurface
will be a contour line if this is what you want. We can not apply the smoothing
formula on any 3D field.

Yuan

> [...]
> Grid must be a 2D slice
>
> ******************
> Stack trace:
> visad.VisADException: Grid must be a 2D slice
> at ucar.unidata.data.grid.GridUtil.smooth(GridUtil.java:6844)
> at
> at
> at org.python.core.PyReflectedFunction.__call__(PyReflectedFunction.java:186)
> at org.python.core.PyReflectedFunction.__call__(PyReflectedFunction.java:204)
> at org.python.core.PyObject.__call__(PyObject.java:422)
> at org.python.core.PyObject.__call__(PyObject.java:426)
> at org.python.pycode._pyx59.gwfs$21(<string>:186)
> at org.python.pycode._pyx59.call_function(<string>)
> at org.python.core.PyTableCode.call(PyTableCode.java:165)
> at org.python.core.PyBaseCode.call(PyBaseCode.java:149)
> at org.python.core.PyFunction.__call__(PyFunction.java:327)
> at org.python.pycode._pyx75.f$0(<string>:1)
> at org.python.pycode._pyx75.call_function(<string>)
> at org.python.core.PyTableCode.call(PyTableCode.java:165)
> at org.python.core.PyCode.call(PyCode.java:18)
> at org.python.core.Py.runCode(Py.java:1261)
> at org.python.core.__builtin__.eval(__builtin__.java:484)
> at org.python.core.__builtin__.eval(__builtin__.java:488)
> at org.python.util.PythonInterpreter.eval(PythonInterpreter.java:190)
> at ucar.unidata.data.DerivedDataChoice.getData(DerivedDataChoice.java:795)
> at ucar.unidata.data.DataChoice.getData(DataChoice.java:637)
> at ucar.unidata.data.DataInstance.getData(DataInstance.java:243)
> at ucar.unidata.data.DataInstance.getData(DataInstance.java:207)
> at ucar.unidata.data.grid.GridDataInstance.init(GridDataInstance.java:206)
> at ucar.unidata.data.grid.GridDataInstance.<init>(GridDataInstance.java:163)
> at ucar.unidata.data.grid.GridDataInstance.<init>(GridDataInstance.java:144)
> at
> ucar.unidata.idv.control.GridDisplayControl.doMakeDataInstance(GridDisplayControl.java:299)
> at
> ucar.unidata.idv.control.DisplayControlImpl.initializeDataInstance(DisplayControlImpl.java:3278)
> at
> ucar.unidata.idv.control.DisplayControlImpl.setData(DisplayControlImpl.java:3234)
> at
> ucar.unidata.idv.control.CrossSectionControl.setData(CrossSectionControl.java:1081)
> at
> ucar.unidata.idv.control.ContourCrossSectionControl.setData(ContourCrossSectionControl.java:118)
> at
> ucar.unidata.idv.control.CrossSectionControl.init(CrossSectionControl.java:422)
> at
> ucar.unidata.idv.control.DisplayControlImpl.init(DisplayControlImpl.java:1402)
> at
> ucar.unidata.idv.control.DisplayControlImpl.init(DisplayControlImpl.java:1085)
> at ucar.unidata.idv.ControlDescriptor.initControl(ControlDescriptor.java:986)
> at ucar.unidata.idv.ControlDescriptor$1.run(ControlDescriptor.java:911)

Ticket ID: KQT-389243
Department: Support IDV