[IDV #ZHL-661606]: Introduction

> Hi Yuan,
>
> This is to introduce to you Mr. Rick Lumpkin, who manages the enormous
> Global Drifter Program database at NOAA's lab in Miami.  He can provide all
> the details and links, etc.  When I have a class, I just wave an image like
> the attached and say, how'd you like to handle data like this every day?
>
> Some of Rick's data products include a monthly climatology of surface
> currents, based on years of real data.  I have exercises using his
> climatological grids at
> <http://marinedataliteracy.org/vectors/gdp_vecs.htm> 6.3  Surface Current
> Vectors from the Global Drifter Program: NetCDF Option
> <http://marinedataliteracy.org/vectors/gdp_vecs.htm>  and his near-real-time
> trajectories at  <http://marinedataliteracy.org/ops/gdp_buoys.htm> 9.23
> Visualizing Drifting Buoy Trajectories in IDV: GDP
> <http://marinedataliteracy.org/ops/gdp_buoys.htm> .  But there seems to be a
> difficulty using IDV to display the vectors from U and V NetCDF component
> grids.  It may just be a small format issue, but I can't get IDV to "see"
> anything more than a single one of Rick's grid objects (the number of buoy
> days per grid cell).  Anyway, that's what I know, and I offered to help with
> an intro.
>
> Please take it from here.
>
> Murray

Hi Murray,
    Thanks for the introduction.
    If this dataset is point observation, you should be able to use the Formula
 > Grids > Make flow vectors from u and v data.
When the new window popup, select wind speed and direction in each panel. You
will get the vector display.
     Sorry I am out of town for the rest of this month and not able to down the
dataset to test it out.

Yuan

> PS.  The global, 12-month NetCDF climatology file is 130 MB, which may also
> be an issue.  HDFView can read it fine, and apparently so can ncBrowse.
>
> Murray Brown
>
> 1710 Washington St.
> New Smyrna Beach, Florida 32168
> PLEASE USE ONLY THIS EMAIL --> address@hidden