[IDV #TAL-526630]: IDV v5.0: Freeze when resetting vertical scale

Dave,

Thanks for the bundle. I had no problems opening it up. But I am having trouble
reproducing this error. I too am running the latest Mavericks.

Grasping at straws here, but can you temporarily move your ~/.unidata out the
way (mv ~/.unidata ~/unidata.bak). After doing that, please try again.

If this does not work, can you describe to me in detail how you change the
vertical range.

Doing it via the "comb" icon on the left of the map should be sufficient.

Please keep us up-to-date on your progress.

Best,

Unidata IDV Support

> IDV supporters,
>
> Iâm running IDV v5.0 (official release) under Mac OS X v.10.9.3 (Maverick).
>
> Iâm plotting WRF-ARW model output, including 3-D terrain elevation. The
> default vertical range for the plot is 0 to 16,000 meters, which typically
> makes the terrain for the regions Iâm modeling look essentially flat.
> (Itâs all under 500 meters.)
>
> However, when I try to change the vertical range by setting the maximum value
> to something like 2000 meters, the IDV freezes with a âplease waitâ
> message.
>
> It doesnât matter how long I waitâit remains frozen, and I have to
> âforce quiteâ (kill) the IDV.
>
> Iâve had the same problem with various developmental versions of IDV v5.0,
> and IDV v4.1 exhibits the same behavior. It doesnât seem to matter whether
> I access the data source via my RAMADDA server or as a local file.
>
> Iâve attached a bundle that plots 3-D topography from a WRF-ARW model
> output file (in NetCDF format, served by one of my RAMADDA
> servers<http://virga.sfsu.edu:8080>). It should plot successfully, but then
> try changing the vertical range to something like 10% of the default range
> and see if you can replicate the problem.
>
> â Dave

> *                                      |         __ __    \|/  *
> *   Dr. Dave Dempsey                   | )   ^  /|| ||\  --0-- *
> *   Dept. of Earth & Climate Sciences  |) ) ^  / ||_|| \  /|\  *
> *   San Francisco State University     | ) )  /  | _ |  \      *
> *   1600 Holloway Ave.                 |)   )/   || ||   \     *
> *   San Francisco, CA   94132          | )   )   ||_||    \    *
> *   Phone:  (415) 338-7716             |  )   )  || ||      \  *
> *   Email:  address@hidden<mailto:address@hidden>           |  )  )  )  ~  ~
>  ~ ~  *

Ticket ID: TAL-526630