[IDV #CFR-996110]: No gridded data found when particular global attribute is set

> Full Name: Dominikus Heinzeller
> Email Address: address@hidden
> Meteorology and Climate Research (IMK-IFU)
> Operating System: Mac OS X
> Hardware: Java: home:
> /System/Library/Java/JavaVirtualMachines/1.6.0.jdk/Contents/Home version:
> 1.6.0_65 j3d:1.5.2 fcs (build4)
> Description of problem: Hi there,
>
> I am converting WRF output into NetCDF CF-1.6 compatible NetCDF files. If I
> try to read the attached file with IDV 4.1 (or 4.0u1), it complains about no
> gridded data being found. However, when removing the global attribute
> "Conventions", IDV reads the file without problems. The NetCDF CF-1.6
> conventions checker that can be found online reports no errors of the file
> when the "Conventions" attribute is present, but it complains - correctly -
> if it is removed. I would like to be able to use IDV to view the files
> without having to remove the attribute and violate the conventions.
>
> Thank you very much for your consideration!
>
> Best regards, Dom
>
> NB. I know that the CF conventions checker recommend/report to add a units
> and a standard_name attribute to the file, but this does not change the
> behaviour of IDV.

Hi Dominikus,
     I am sure the attached file can pass the CF checker without any doubt, but
this does not mean it is a CF compliance Gridded dataset. I briefly check the
structure and see no coordinate system defined.
     When you remove the "Conventions" attribute, the netCDF java library will
try something not following the CF standards for this dataset and build its
coordinates system and this is why you saw no problem in the IDV.

Yuan

Ticket ID: CFR-996110
Department: Support IDV