[IDV #LOO-378082]: IDV v5.0: Reads only part of WRF output interpolated to pressure levels

Dave,

I hate to not have a better response, but I would say, try one way or
another to post-process the data. Until then, all bets are off as far
as IDV visualization is concerned.

Best Wishes,

Unidata IDV Support

> On Jan 15, 2014, at 5:47 PM, Unidata IDV Support
> <address@hidden<mailto:address@hidden>>
> wrote:
>
> >> I am trying to read a NetCDF file containing WRF model output (for a
> >> single time) that has been interpolated vertically from eta-levels to
> >> pressure levels using a program called p_interp, a utility provided to WRF
> >> users by WRF support.
>
> >> When the IDV loads this NetCDF file, ... the only 3-D variables that it
> >> lists are the four soil variables….
>
> IDV support,
>
> I see a brief reference in the Unidata email support archive [IDV
> #ZEQ-887684] to the effect that:
>

> "The output of pinterp is not CF compliant. You can use ncml to fix this
> problem. Or use the official WRF post-process script."
>
> Unfortunately, I'm not competent to use NcML to fix the problem. However, I
> have acquired the latest version of UPP (Universal
> Post-Processor)<http://www.dtcenter.org/wrf-nmm/users/downloads/index.php>,
> v.2.1, which replaces WPP (WRF Post-Processor, including the p_interp
> utility), and am battling my way through the installation, which
> unfortunately isn't yet supported under Mac OS X, and there are many problems
> so far.
>
> Unless I'm missing something. Have I identified the available options for
> interpolating WRF output to pressure levels in CF complaint format (so I can
> display it using the IDV) under Mac OS X v10.8?
>
> -- Dave

> *   Dr. Dave Dempsey                             |       ^   ___       \|/
>  *
> *   Dept. of Earth & Climate Sciences   |  ) ^     /||_||\    --0--  *
> *   San Francisco State University        | )  )    /  ||_||  \    /|\     *
> *   1600 Holloway Ave.                           |  )  )  /   ||_||    \
>     *
> *   San Francisco, CA   94132               |  )  ) /    ||_||      \   ^   *
> *   Phone:  (415) 338-7716                    |  )  )  )~||~||~~~~ \~~*
> *   FAX:      (415) 338-7705                    | )  )  )  ) ~  ~  ~ ~ ~ ~*
> *   Email:   address@hidden<mailto:address@hidden>             |  )  )   )  )

Ticket ID: LOO-378082
Department: Support IDV