[IDV #XGO-279218]: how to calculate relative humidity from temp and dewpoint temp?

Dave,

There may not be a built-in formal to calculate relative humidity, but
this can easily be achieved through Jython. In fact, there is a very
similar example here to calculate dew point from the temperature, and
relative humidity:

http://www.unidata.ucar.edu/software/idv/docs/workshop/isl/JythonScripting.html

You will have to choose an approximation to calculate relative
humidity that you are satisfied with. I found a "Bulletin of the
American Meteorological Society" (BAMS) paper that describes various
methods to achieve this calculation.

http://journals.ametsoc.org/doi/pdf/10.1175/BAMS-86-2-225

Best Wishes,

Unidata IDV Support

> Full Name: dave
> Email Address: address@hidden
> Operating System: Windows 7
> Hardware: Java: home: C:\Program Files\IDV_5.0\jre version: 1.6.0_43
> j3d:1.5.2 fcs (build4)
> Description of problem: Hi,
> With IDV jython, how to calculate relative humidity from temp and dewpoint
> temp?
> Is there any existing function to do this? Very thanks!
> dave

Ticket ID: XGO-279218
Department: Support IDV