[IDV #JNS-730828]: volume rendering creates solid cube

Alexa,

This is the same data we were looking at before, correct? Were you able to
clean up the data with respect to the longitude problem we saw before?

At any rate, I was able to visualize the data with no problems in the IDV just
as you did. My only suggestion is you may wish to experiment with the 3D
Surface -> Isosurface option instead of volume rendering. This will at least
have the advantage of rendering much quicker than volume rendering -- your
dataset is quite large. Also, it may clean up some of the visualization
artifacts you are reporting.

Lastly, if you are going to the AMS meeting in Atlanta, stop by the Unidata
booth for in-person IDV help.

Best,

Unidata IDV Support

> Sorry, me again. Actually, I was doing the volume rendering this whole time
> - I just needed to change the color settings so the structure could show up
> (sigh). I attach a screenshot of what I came up with. It looks quite
> artifact-y around the edges, but is that about what I should expect from
> this option?
>
> Many thanks in advance for you patience!
>
> All the best
>
> Alexa
>

> On Tue, Jan 7, 2014 at 4:19 PM, Van eaton, Alexa <address@hidden> wrote:
>
> > As a follow-on to the previous email, I found that I can create a "point
> > volume" plot. I wonder if this narrows down the problem at all?
> >

> > On Tue, Jan 7, 2014 at 3:50 PM, Van eaton, Alexa <address@hidden>wrote:
> >
> >> Hello Unidata IDV Support,
> >>
> >> I ran into some issues today using the volume rendering option for my
> >> dataset (it creates a solid cube). I wondered if you might have any ideas
> >> for troubleshooting.
> >>
> >> I read that previous users solved this problem by unchecking "3d texture"
> >> under the displays option, but this did not change anything for me.
> >>
> >> My system uses the following:
> >>
> >> Ubuntu 12.04.2 LTS (64-bit)
> >> 64-bit Java-7-oracle v. 1.7.0_25
> >> nVIDIA G92 GeForce GTS 250 graphics card
> >>
> >> My machine has 4G memory, and when I attempt the volume rendering on a
> >> single timestep, the application uses only ~25% of the available memory, so
> >> it seems this is not the main issue. I checked that I am indeed using the
> >> nVIDIA graphics card - is it simply not beefy enough to perform this
> >> operation?
> >>
> >> Any ideas would be really appreciated!
> >>
> >> All the best
> >>
> >> Alexa