[IDV #WYC-198714]: IDV 4.1u1: Vertical cross section plots conforming to variable surface elevation

> Dave,
> After many hours in this ticket, I have to agree that you are right, this is
> a bug. Basically, the IDV pass a 3D object to the VisAD library to resample
> the slice of the crosssection, and the input 3D object has no missing data,
> but the resample slice coming back from VisAD library has many missiong data
> near the surface levels. I will pass the information to VisAD developers to
> find a solution or at least an explanation.
>

> Yuan

Dave,
     According to Tom Rink:
"Sigma coordinates are often terrain following so there would be missing
data near (depending on resolution) and below the terrain.  When transformed
to physical space, grid surfaces can have irregularities (concave structures)
which
can be difficult for the resample algorithm. "

So, I would say the solution is to transfer the data to the grid format using
the WRF post process script before the visualization.

Yuan

Ticket ID: WYC-198714
Department: Support IDV