[IDV #HHW-840109]: IDV v4.1u1: 3-D flow vector plotting options

Dave,

> Unidata support,
>
> I don’t know if comments/questions/potential bug reports like those below
> should be submitted via the IDV Steering Committee email list or here.
> Anyway, here goes:
>
> — I see that the choices for plotting the derived quantity, “3-D Flow Vectors
> (from U & V & W)”, are just two: “3D vector plan view” and “3D vector cross
> section". 3D flow vectors might naturally be plotted over topography, too,
> especially near the surface, where the flow approximately follows the
> surface. (I’ve seen horizontal flow vectors plotted over steep topography, if
> they point upslope, vanish under the topographic surface if a 0% transparency
> color-fill contour plot of topography is also present, though the attached
> bundle doesn’t seem to suffer from this problem for some reason. In theory,
> if the aspect ratio of the 3-D flow vectors and the topography were the same,
> then 3D vectors near the surface would lie approximately parallel to the
> surface and hence wouldn’t disappear beneath them, even if they pointed
> upslope.)

Yuan will look into this issue.

> — If I check "View > Show > Display Scales”, then I can’t subsequently turn
> display scales off by unchecking "View > Properties > Show Display Scales”.

This appears to be a bug. On the to do list.

> — When I click on the “Vertical Range” icon (left-hand edge of the Map View
> window), I see a “Visible” check box. I’m expecting to be able to check that
> box and see a vertical scale, but nothing happens when I do that. The next
> time I click on the icon, the “Visible” check box is unchecked again. I’d
> like to be able to turn on the vertical scale without also turning on the
> latitude and longitude scales along the edges of the plot domain.

This appears to be a bug. On the to do list.

> — When I’ve got a data transect (vertical cross section) set up along with
> plan views, and the transect crosses the domain at an angle other than
> north/south or east/west, I’d like to have a way to specify a perspective
> view that is perpendicular to the vertical cross section. I have been
> clicking one of the standard N, S, E, or W perspective views and then trying
> to rotate the perspective manually until it’s as nearly perpendicular to the
> vertical cross section as I can get it, but this is awkward and unreliable.
> If it isn’t pretty close to perpendicular, then contour labels in the
> vertical cross section. become hard or impossible to read.

We suggest this is a feature requests that you can bring up with the steering
committee.

> — When I have contour line labeling set to “Label Every 2nd Line” (the
> default?) and the base contour is set to an even humber initially, then
> even-numbered contours are labeled. If I then reset the base contour to an
> odd number, the contours continue to be labeled only on even-numbered
> contours. It would be good if line labeling always started with the base
> contour and went up and down from there in whatever increment is specified by
> “Label Every Nth Line”.

We agree that there are some ambiguities with the contouring logic. We will
have to work with SSEC to make progress on these issues.

> I’ve attached a bundle during the development of which I encountered these
> issues.
>
> — Dave

> *                                      |         __ __    \|/  *
> *   Dr. Dave Dempsey                   | )   ^  /|| ||\  --0-- *
> *   Dept. of Earth & Climate Sciences  |) ) ^  / ||_|| \  /|\  *
> *   San Francisco State University     | ) )  /  | _ |  \      *
> *   1600 Holloway Ave.                 |)   )/   || ||   \     *
> *   San Francisco, CA   94132          | )   )   ||_||    \    *
> *   Phone:  (415) 338-7716             |  )   )  || ||      \  *
> *   Email:  address@hidden<mailto:address@hidden>           |  )  )  )  ~  ~
>  ~ ~  *

Ticket ID: HHW-840109
Department: Support IDV