[IDV #HHW-840109]: IDV v4.1u1: 3-D flow vector plotting options

Dave,

> Unidata support,
>
> I donât know if comments/questions/potential bug reports like those below
> should be submitted via the IDV Steering Committee email list or here.
> Anyway, here goes:
>
> â I see that the choices for plotting the derived quantity, â3-D Flow
> Vectors (from U & V & W)â, are just two: â3D vector plan viewâ and
> â3D vector cross section". 3D flow vectors might naturally be plotted over
> topography, too, especially near the surface, where the flow approximately
> follows the surface. (Iâve seen horizontal flow vectors plotted over steep
> topography, if they point upslope, vanish under the topographic surface if a
> 0% transparency color-fill contour plot of topography is also present, though
> the attached bundle doesnât seem to suffer from this problem for some
> reason. In theory, if the aspect ratio of the 3-D flow vectors and the
> topography were the same, then 3D vectors near the surface would lie
> approximately parallel to the surface and hence wouldnât disappear beneath
> them, even if they pointed upslope.)

Yuan will look into this issue.

> â If I check "View > Show > Display Scalesâ, then I canât subsequently
> turn display scales off by unchecking "View > Properties > Show Display
> Scalesâ.

This appears to be a bug. On the to do list.

> â When I click on the âVertical Rangeâ icon (left-hand edge of the Map
> View window), I see a âVisibleâ check box. Iâm expecting to be able to
> check that box and see a vertical scale, but nothing happens when I do that.
> The next time I click on the icon, the âVisibleâ check box is unchecked
> again. Iâd like to be able to turn on the vertical scale without also
> turning on the latitude and longitude scales along the edges of the plot
> domain.

This appears to be a bug. On the to do list.

> â When Iâve got a data transect (vertical cross section) set up along
> with plan views, and the transect crosses the domain at an angle other than
> north/south or east/west, Iâd like to have a way to specify a perspective
> view that is perpendicular to the vertical cross section. I have been
> clicking one of the standard N, S, E, or W perspective views and then trying
> to rotate the perspective manually until itâs as nearly perpendicular to
> the vertical cross section as I can get it, but this is awkward and
> unreliable. If it isnât pretty close to perpendicular, then contour labels
> in the vertical cross section. become hard or impossible to read.

We suggest this is a feature requests that you can bring up with the steering
committee.

> â When I have contour line labeling set to âLabel Every 2nd Lineâ (the
> default?) and the base contour is set to an even humber initially, then
> even-numbered contours are labeled. If I then reset the base contour to an
> odd number, the contours continue to be labeled only on even-numbered
> contours. It would be good if line labeling always started with the base
> contour and went up and down from there in whatever increment is specified by
> âLabel Every Nth Lineâ.

We agree that there are some ambiguities with the contouring logic. We will
have to work with SSEC to make progress on these issues.

> Iâve attached a bundle during the development of which I encountered these
> issues.
>
> â Dave

> *                                      |         __ __    \|/  *
> *   Dr. Dave Dempsey                   | )   ^  /|| ||\  --0-- *
> *   Dept. of Earth & Climate Sciences  |) ) ^  / ||_|| \  /|\  *
> *   San Francisco State University     | ) )  /  | _ |  \      *
> *   1600 Holloway Ave.                 |)   )/   || ||   \     *
> *   San Francisco, CA   94132          | )   )   ||_||    \    *
> *   Phone:  (415) 338-7716             |  )   )  || ||      \  *
> *   Email:  address@hidden<mailto:address@hidden>           |  )  )  )  ~  ~
>  ~ ~  *

Ticket ID: HHW-840109