[IDV #KET-549746]: IDV v.4.1u1: Bundle saved with "No Data" fails to load data from original (but renamed) data source

Dave,

So if I understand correctly, RAMADDA v1.5b is working as expected with no
stale cache problems. Please upgrade all RAMADDA instances you may have.

I have another request. Please submit the "potential temperature fields"
problem as a separate support request. Hopefully this is just a matter of
copy/pasting. Submitting separate issues as separate tickets helps keep our
support bookkeeping straight and ensures that you are getting the best level of
support possible.

Best Wishes and Happy Thanksgiving,

Unidata IDV Support

> On Nov 26, 2013, at 11:55 AM, Unidata IDV Support
> <address@hidden<mailto:address@hidden>> wrote:
>
> A second experiment you can try is simply restart RAMADDA when you see this
> problem. If this (temporarily) fixes the issue, then according to Don Murray,
> a more permanent solution for this problem is  in the latest version of
> RAMADDA, so upgrade if possible.
>
> Unidata support,
>
> Some more input, which probably doesn’t help any:
>
> (1) I have a second RAMADDA server running at http://droplet.sfsu.edu:8080.
> It can access the same WRF model output files that the RAMADDA server on
> virga.sfsu.edu<http://virga.sfsu.edu> can access. (Droplet has an NFS mount
> of virga’s hard drive with the data sources on it.)
>
> (2) I loaded data source "wrfout_2013-11-21_12_GFS_CenCal_BayArea_EastBay.nc”
> via droplet’s RAMADDA server, then loaded the “No Data” bundle that I’ve been
> working with, and watched the IDV successfully generate the display*. I then
> saved the bundle again leaving “Data Sources” unchecked.
>
> (3) I removed all displays and data from the IDV, loaded data source
> "wrfout_2013-11-21_12_GFS_CenCal_BayArea_EastBay.1.nc” via droplet’s RAMADDA
> server (recall that “wrfout_2013-11-21_12_GFS_CenCal_BayArea_EastBay.1.nc” is
> an exact copy of "wrfout_2013-11-21_12_GFS_CenCal_BayArea_EastBay.nc”),
> loaded the just-saved “No Data” bundle, and watched as the IDV successfully
> generated the display*.
>
> Droplet is running RAMADDA v.1.5b (installed early in November).
>
> In other words, I was unable to replicate on droplet (RAMADDA v1.5b) the
> problem that I had with virga (RAMADDA v1.5) . That could be a difference
> between the servers, or it could be some other difference in the sequence in
> which I accessed the data source and created and saved the bundle—without
> creating a new bundle from scratch and replicating the process exactly using
> the two RAMADDA servers, there will continue to be uncertainty. Not much
> help, unfortunately.
>
> It would be nice not to have to clear RAMADDA’s caches or restart the server
> to get this problem solved, though. Users other than me aren’t going to have
> administrative access to be able to do that, even if they understood the
> source of the problem.
>
> We’ll see whether or not having cleared RAMADDA’s caches on virga and
> restarted will effect a permanent fix.
>
> — Dave
>
> *(except for the potential temperature fields, which are a separate problem).
>

> Dave,
>
> First off, nice bundle. It would be nice to showcase this work possibly in a
> screencast.
>
> This issue is similar to the issue (note the similar stack traces) you
> reported earlier so I am hoping to kill a few birds with one stone.
>
> I am having some difficulty reproducing the issue today (though I did see it
> yesterday, and in a different client (toolsui) so I have some reason to
> [...]

Ticket ID: KET-549746
Department: Support IDV