[IDV #TOO-707846]: Possible small bug between RTOFS and IDV

> Dear Folks,
>
> I've been working on cleaning up my exercises for operational work,
> and just completed the draft of 9.31 Visualizing Ocean Model Scalars
> <http://www.marinedataliteracy.org/ops/rtofs_mod.htm> & Vectors in
> IDV: RTOFS/HYCOM.  I ran into something that you should know about,
> as it possibly involves a bug.  Check out Panel 20-21 in the draft
> and you see what I mean.it was easier to include it in the draft with
> illustrations than to describe it in an email.  Something is screwing
> up the indexing or the reading of the first objects in the lists, by
> time and/or by depth.  In the old days we immediately suspected that
> one system's counter was 0-based and the other was 1-based, but it's
> probably more complicated nowadays.
>
> Second, smaller issue:  The appearance of millibars instead of decibars
> is probably just a fiendish glitch somewhere, but I don't know whether
> this comes in with the RTOFS data or is read from a dictionary somewhere.
>
> Anyway, please take a look, and while you're at it, don't hesitate to
> let me know about any errors or wrong turns.  Thanks.

Murray,
      I checked the rtofs dataset, and it seems to me this is the problem of
the remote data server. This data is in GrADS format, and the index of time and
depth in its control file probably misses by 1. You need to contact the data
providers for more information. Also, you can tell them to add attribute
positive = "down"  to the variable lev, (and correct unit for this variable if
you think the correct unit should be decibars). So, the display will be showing
under the earth surface.

Yuan

> Murray
>
> Murray Brown, PhD
> 1710 Washington St., Apt. B
> New Smyrna Beach, Florida 32168
> PLEASE USE ONLY THIS EMAIL --> address@hidden
> (Home) 386.428.6367, (Cell) 386.341.0868
> www.marinedataliteracy.org <http://www.marinedataliteracy.org/>

Ticket ID: TOO-707846
Department: Support IDV