[IDV #ITL-484917]: trouble importing a WRF GrADS file into IDV

> > Hi,
> >
> > I created a GrADS file from a WRF output file using ARWpost. The
> > file is for an idealized case and is also for a WRFChem run which
> > include ash species.  The file seems to work just fine in GrADS but when
> > I try to load it into IDV I get the following error:
> > There was an error loading the data:
> > Error creating data source:file.grads with:
> > /erik/s0/gkh1/worked060513/test.ctl
> > Grid data source failed making data set: /erik/s0/gkh1/worked060513/test.ctl
> > 24
> >
> > When I click Show Details i get the following:
> > java.lang.ArrayIndexOutOfBoundsException: 24
> > at
> > ucar.nc2.iosp.grads.GradsBinaryGridServiceProvider.fillNCFile(GradsBinaryGridServiceProvider.java:403)
> > at
> > ucar.nc2.iosp.grads.GradsBinaryGridServiceProvider.buildNCFile(GradsBinaryGridServiceProvider.java:291)
> > at
> > ucar.nc2.iosp.grads.GradsBinaryGridServiceProvider.open(GradsBinaryGridServiceProvider.java:270)
> > at ucar.nc2.NetcdfFile.<init>(NetcdfFile.java:1494)
> > at ucar.nc2.NetcdfFile.open(NetcdfFile.java:786)
> > at ucar.nc2.NetcdfFile.open(NetcdfFile.java:395)
> > at
> > ucar.nc2.dataset.NetcdfDataset.openOrAcquireFile(NetcdfDataset.java:687)
> > at
> > ucar.nc2.dataset.NetcdfDataset.openDataset(NetcdfDataset.java:418)
> > at
> > ucar.nc2.dataset.NetcdfDataset.acquireDataset(NetcdfDataset.java:513)
> > at ucar.nc2.dt.grid.GridDataset.open(GridDataset.java:104)
> > at ucar.nc2.dt.grid.GridDataset.open(GridDataset.java:90)
> > at
> > ucar.unidata.data.grid.GeoGridDataSource.doMakeDataSet(GeoGridDataSource.java:1113)
> > at
> > ucar.unidata.data.grid.GeoGridDataSource.getDataset(GeoGridDataSource.java:1135)
> > at
> > ucar.unidata.data.grid.GeoGridDataSource.initAfterCreation(GeoGridDataSource.java:499)
> > at
> > ucar.unidata.data.DataManager.createDataSource(DataManager.java:1597)
> > at
> > ucar.unidata.idv.IntegratedDataViewer.createDataSource(IntegratedDataViewer.java:1980)
> > at
> > ucar.unidata.idv.IntegratedDataViewer.makeDataSource(IntegratedDataViewer.java:1897)
> > at
> > ucar.unidata.idv.IntegratedDataViewer.makeDataSource(IntegratedDataViewer.java:1831)
> > at
> > ucar.unidata.idv.IntegratedDataViewer.makeDataSource(IntegratedDataViewer.java:1804)
> > at
> > ucar.unidata.idv.chooser.IdvChooser.makeDataSource(IdvChooser.java:943)
> > at
> > ucar.unidata.idv.chooser.FileChooser.selectFilesInner(FileChooser.java:656)
> > at
> > ucar.unidata.idv.chooser.FileChooser.selectFiles(FileChooser.java:525)
> [...]
Glenn,

I checked the uploaded file and your control file. I am guessing you have only
24 levels in the model output, if so, you need to change the U and V variable
levels from 169 to 24. Otherwise, you should change the zdef from 24 to 169.
After that, it should work in the IDV.

Yuan

Ticket ID: ITL-484917
Department: Support IDV