[IDV #TTT-288053]: Attempting to load point data into IDV

Greetings Eddie,

Try adding this header to the beginning of your text file:

(index)->(Time,Latitude,Longitude)
Time[fmt="MM/dd/yy
HH:mm"],Latitude[unit="degrees_north"],Longitude[unit="degrees_east"]

Once you have the data loaded, you can manipulate the symbol using the
layout model editor:

http://www.unidata.ucar.edu/software/idv/docs/userguide/tools/StationModelEditor.html

In order to get the upside down triangle, add a "shape" to the layout model,
then
double click it in the editor. In the popup box that appears, click on the
"Rotate about
Z axis" tab. In the "Rotate By Parameter" box, enter Default, and then in the
"Degrees"
boxes at the bottom of the tab, enter 180 into both.

Let me know if you get this to work,

Sean

PS: I noticed you are using an old version of the IDV; you should upgrade to the
latest version (4.0u1). After June 1st, you will no longer be able to access
data
on our data server unless you've upgraded, due to changes in the THREDDS
and netCDF-Java software.

> Full Name: Eddie Dixon
> Email Address: address@hidden
> Package Version: 3.0b2 build date:2011-08-19 07:06 UTC
> Operating System: Windows 7
> Hardware: Java: home: C:\Program Files\IDV_3.0b2\jre version: 1.6.0_20
> j3d:1.5.2 fcs (build4)
> Description of problem: loading data
> 0
>
> I am attempting to load the following data file into IDV.  I suspect there
> may be a problem with date formats. The first column is combined date-time in
> MM/dd/yy HH:mm z format. The second and third columns are lattitude and
> longitude, respectively, of tornado begin points. I attempted to load the
> data simply as point data, not bothering with any sort of first guess. It
> returned the above error when I attempted to do so.
>
> Additionally, is there a way that I can change the appearance of the data? I
> would like to have the points represented by small red upside-down triangles,
> if possible, (since they are tornado locations.)
>
> ******************
> Stack trace:
> at
> ucar.unidata.data.point.PointObFactory.makeTimeSequenceOfPointObs(PointObFactory.java:389)
> at
> ucar.unidata.data.point.PointObFactory.makeTimeSequenceOfPointObs(PointObFactory.java:309)
> at
> ucar.unidata.data.point.PointObFactory.makeTimeSequenceOfPointObs(PointObFactory.java:284)
> at
> ucar.unidata.data.point.PointDataInstance.getTimeSequence(PointDataInstance.java:114)
> at
> ucar.unidata.data.point.PointDataInstance.getTimeSequence(PointDataInstance.java:137)
> at
> ucar.unidata.idv.control.StationModelControl.loadData(StationModelControl.java:1633)
> at
> ucar.unidata.idv.control.StationModelControl$DataLoader.run(StationModelControl.java:3759)

Ticket ID: TTT-288053
Department: Support IDV