[IDV #CHZ-651099]: our sea glider data won't open in IDV (using "Trajectory Sounding files")

> address@hidden> wrote:
>

> > > What are they named? I don't see them. Here is the DDS from the OPeNDAP
> > > page in the URL above, which shows that "time" is the only dimension:
> > >
> > > Dataset {
> > > Float64 time[time = 48];
> > > Float64 depth[time = 48];
> > > Float64 latitude[time = 48];
> > > Float64 longitude[time = 48];
> > > Float64 pressure[time = 48];
> > > Float64 temp[time = 48];
> > > Float64 conductivity[time = 48];
> > > Float64 salinity[time = 48];
> > > Float64 density[time = 48];
> > > } hioos/glider/sg523_3/p5230001.nc;
> > >
> > > What other dimensions are you referring to? Is it possible you are still
> > > looking at a file downloaded using HTTP (as I advised against)?
> > > Thanks,
> > > John
> > >

> > Ok, there are two others dimensions in the file, but not used.
> >
> > The trick is the attribute <attribute name="Conventions" value="XXXX " />,
> > I use this to overwrite what you have there, somehow you can not say this
> > is CF 1.4 something....
> >
> > See the attached, it can be loaded in the IDV.
> >

> Hi Yuan,
> The only thing that IDV didn't like about my existing set up was the
> Conventions string, "Unidata Dataset Discovery v1.0, CF-1.4". When I remove
> the CF-1.4 entry from my Conventions attribute, it now works in IDV. Why is
> that??
>
> The other attributes you suggested are unnecessary for CF-compliance:
> _CoordinateAxisType, _CoordinateZisPositive, and long_name are all
> unnecessary. Those dimensions are already defined by their units and by the
> "positive" attribute, and the _Coordinate* attributes are therefore
> redundant.
>
> I can confirm that our existing OPeNDAP output is indeed CF-1.4 compliant
> using the CF compliance checker at:
> http://puma.nerc.ac.uk/cgi-bin/cf-checker.pl. This suggests that IDV has a
> bug in how it is reading and/or using the Conventions string. A string of
> "Unidata Dataset Discovery v1.0, CF-1.4" is not only valid but recommended.
> (See "NetCDF Attribute Convention for Dataset Discovery" > "Conventions
> global attribute":
> http://www.unidata.ucar.edu/software/netcdf-java/formats/DataDiscoveryAttConvention.html
> )
>
> For now as a temporary workaround, I have removed CF-1.4 from our
> Conventions string so that IDV will work. But hopefully IDV can be fixed
> soon, since this may have undesirable consequences in other OPeNDAP
> clients. Please keep me posted.
> Thanks,
> John

This change may well be permanent. With CF-1.4 in the convention string, the
netCDF-Java will use specific coordinate builder to build the coordinate for
this dataset and it will fail. The trajectory feature type is fit into the
default coordinate builder and you don't need this convention string.

Yuan

> *P.S. To run the compliance checker and see for yourself, go to:
> http://oos.soest.hawaii.edu/thredds/catalog/hioos/glider/sg523_3/catalog.html?dataset=sg523_3/p5230001.nc.
> Click on "NetCDF-Java ToolsUI (webstart)" near the end of the TDS catalog
> page under Viewers. Within ToolsUI, click on the NcML tab. Enter the
> following OPeNDAP URL as the dataset:
> http://oos.soest.hawaii.edu/thredds/dodsC/hioos/glider/sg523_3/p5230001.nc.
> Click on the ring symbol (third from the right) to save output as a
> NetCDF-3 file. This saves a NetCDF file with the NcML settings applied. Go
> to the NetCDF CF compliance checker online at:
> http://puma.nerc.ac.uk/cgi-bin/cf-checker.pl. Browse to the NetCDF file you
> just saved from ToolsUI and click "Check file". The output is valid CF-1.4
> output.
>

> > Yuan

> > http://oos.soest.hawaii.edu/thredds/dodsC/hioos/glider/sg523_3_agg.html

> > defined