[IDV #PAD-870179]: I found this error message while opening immediately after installation.

Greetings!

The issue is that the missing_value must have the same
data type as the variable. In this case, the variables are
Reals and Integers, but the missing_value is actually a
String (nan). If you download the file as a netCDF file from
the server:

http://podaac-opendap.jpl.nasa.gov/opendap/hyrax/allData/oscar/L4/oscar_1_deg/world_oscar_vel_5d2013.nc.gz.html

(look at the top for the "Get as netCDF" button),

the netCDF file that you get back will have the correct data
types for the missing values. I'd recommend contacting the
data provider and ask them to correct their datasets.

Cheers,

Sean

Ticket ID: PAD-870179
Department: Support IDV