[IDV #ENB-133694]: NAM and GFS best time series totally different at same time

Greetings Brian,

I see the issue.

> In two NCEP analysis products over the US?

When you look at data from the GFS 2.5 degree model, you are not
looking at an analysis product (grid) - the GFS 2.5 degree grids that we get
only contain the 192 to 384 hour (8 to 16 day) forecast. That is, the best
time series of the GFS 2.5 degree model will the the 'best' time series that
can be made with 8 to 16 day forecast. See the thredds catalog page for the
GFS 2.5 degree model for more info (found under Documentation ->
summary):

http://motherlode.ucar.edu/thredds/catalog/fmrc/NCEP/GFS/Global_2p5deg/catalog.html?dataset=fmrc/NCEP/GFS/Global_2p5deg

The NAM 12km, however, contains the analysis and forecasts every 3 hours
out to 84 hours. So, the best time series of the NAM 12 will be made up from
the analysis grids, as well as forecast grids *much* closer to the analysis time
of each run. Again, here is the summary for the NAM 12km model:

http://motherlode.ucar.edu/thredds/catalog/fmrc/NCEP/NAM/CONUS_12km/catalog.html?dataset=fmrc/NCEP/NAM/CONUS_12km

In the example image you sent, you are seeing the MSLP field of the NAM 12
analysis grid (valid 2013-03-17 00:00:00 Z) compared to the MSLP field of
the GFS 2.5 degree forecast grid (8 or so days out from the actual initial time
of the run) valid at 2013-03-017 00:00:00 Z.

Sean