[IDV #PDV-144154]: Fix for IDV World Coastline issue on PC's

Hi Don,

re:
> At the User's Conference several of us using PCs had problems with
> wackiness in the World Coastline background.   I remember someone told
> us a few simple steps that fixed it.

Yes, there are known issues with ATI graphics cards.  These problems
(which I, for lack of a better term, characterize as 'map zings') are
not seen when the IDV is run on machines with Nvidia or Intel graphics
cards.

re:
> Is that procedure written up
> somewhere?  I didn't find it explicitly in recent FAQs, at least as
> straightforward a fix that we all did at Unidata.

The following should be found in an IDV FAQ:

- start the IDV
- click on 'Edit -> Preferences' to bring up the 'User Preferences'
  GUI
- select the 'System' tab
- change the 'Java 3D: Enable geometry by reference' value from
  what it currently is
- click on the 'Apply' or 'OK' button at the bottom of the 'User
  Preferences' GUI
- exit and restart the IDV

This procedure only needs to be performed once; the preference set
will be persistent across repeated IDV invocations.

re:
> The PC is a brand new high-end Dell with a good ATI/Radeon video
> card - latest drivers.

You have undoubtedly run into the Java 3D/OpenGL problem everyone
who is using ATI video cards (like me) experiences.

re:
> Thanks,

No worries.  Please let us know if you run into any problems when
performing the configuration above.

Ticket ID: PDV-144154
Department: Support IDV