[IDV #TWD-176033]: IDV (registration and use in short course)

> Dear IDV representative,
>
> I am planning to offer an IDV-related session as part of a short course
> (lasting one
> week) for undergraduate and graduate students and the goal is to train them
> on several
> aspects of tropical cyclone monitoring. Basically, to display (GOES)
> satellite imagery,
> numerical models, ATCF tracks and forecasts, etc. Most of the input data
> (except the
> National Hurricane Center's ATCF database) will be locally available on
> hard-disk files.
>
> My plan is to provide a package overview by showing examples and have one
> interactive
> session with the students during the week of March 18-22 in La Paz, Baja
> California. In
> advance, they should register in the Unidata's portal and download the most
> recent
> IDV version. The (25 or so) students are from public universities in Mexico
> and from
> some countries in South America.
>
> Please let me know your comments, questions and recommendations.
>
> Thanks,
> Luis M Farfán
> CICESE, Mexico.
Hi Luis,
    This is a very interesting plan. Actually, we will also be doing a regional
workshop at San Jose state university one week before your workshop.
    It will be good to do the satellite imagery on the ADDE server in your
workshop if the local network speed is reasonable, since there are many
functions can only be done in the ADDE server. But, the ACTF dataset can be
done locally, this only needs a ftp server.

    Let us know if you need any help from us and we would like to know more
story about this workshop, please keep us updated.

Thanks,

Yuan

Ticket ID: TWD-176033
Department: Support IDV