[IDV #GMD-821596]: netCDF file: IDV only sees one time level, and valid_range misses the negative lower bound

> Hi Yuan.
> Oh yes that is clearly an error, the time variable's data is all zeros.
> Thanks. I should have known.
> I didn't make these files, NASA did (and nco operators acting in between).
> I just want to do the least work to be able to look at them. I will fix the
> time variable.
>

> On a related note, I have some other files (cloud model output) that I wish I
> could visualize, with too little header information.
> Here is one example:
> http://weather.rsmas.miami.edu:8080/repository/entry/show/UM+RAMADDA+Data+Repository/Users/brian+mapes/SAM_cloudmodel_64x64.nc+?entryid=f0c75517-b9e6-4a42-8b90-4835cf38255f
> It is from a periodic cloud model, so there is no "lat" and lon". I could
> make some up (just rename x and y to lon and lat?)

This dataset has different issues, the most critical one is missing a
projection. Without a projection, there is no way to locate the lat/lon value
for the x/y. I don't think you can simply rename x/y to lat/lon in this case.
If you have any idea what is the projection here, I can help you to create a
ncml file.

> IDV says these don't even seem to be .nc grid files.
> What is it looking for?
>

> THE GENERAL POINT:
> Is there a list of the minimum requirements for a .nc file?
> Yes I know there are "conventions" with pages and pages of recommendations. I
> found those sites. That's good for institutions planning lasting data
> libraries.
> But how can I find what is the FASTEST way to get IDV to recognize netCDF
> grid volumes?

There is no general list, each type of dataset can have different requirement.
My understand is that the fastest way is to have your dataset in lat/lon grid.

Yuan

> >> I will download and let you know what is wrong.
> >>

> >> Yuan
> >
> > Brian,
> >     the time variable in this dataset is defined as:
> >
> > int time(time=36);
> >     :long_name = "time";
> >     :units = "minutes since 2010-02-04 14:30:00";
> >     :time_increment = 60000; // int
> >     :begin_date = 20100204; // int
> >     :begin_time = 143000; // int
> >     :_CoordinateAxisType = "Time";
> >
> > data:
> >
> >  {0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0,
> > 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0}
> >

> > I understand what you try to do, but I don't think these attributes is in
> > CF convention.
> >

> > Yuan
> >

> > Ticket Details
> > Ticket ID: GMD-821596