[IDV #FIJ-111081]: NOWRAD Data

Hi Marty,

I have been following your exchange with Yuan regarding WSI NOWRAD composite
imagery, and I have a couple of questions and comments/suggestions...

In your first email, you said:

> There is no other
> data source for archived composite radar, to my knowledge, so it is important
> to me to
> get this going.

I have not seen any email to address@hidden recently, so I don't know
if you have pinged the Unidata user community on the availability of an archive
of
Unidata-created NEXRAD Level III base reflectivity composite imagery.  I have
a feeling that Daryl Herzmann of Iowa Sate may have an archive of these images
that he would be willing to share with you.  Please contact Daryl to see if this
is, in fact the case:

Daryl Herzmann <address@hidden>

The other thing is that Unidata McIDAS contains ADDE server support for WSI
NOWRAD imagery (I wrote that server, so I know that it exists and is viable).
If Central Michigan still has a McIDAS installation somewhere (it used to),
it could be configured to serve your NOWRAD data.  The setup would require
that you configure that McIDAS installation for remote access (very easy, but
requires 'root' privilege).  The imagery would then be accessible to the
IDV via the Data Choosers -> Sat & Radar -> Images sequence.

Final comment: if your NOWRAD data holdings are "reasonably sized" and
unchanging (i.e., you have an "archive" set you want to use for a particular
study), then we could host the imagery on one of our servers and create
an ADDE dataset of the data that you could then access in the same way
that you would access any satellite or radar imagery.  We can not promise
to host this data in perpetuity, of course; we could make it accessible
for a reasonably long period of time.

Ticket ID: FIJ-111081
Department: Support IDV