[IDV #WWP-385269]: IDV fails to start in Linux

Greetings,

This might be an issue with the fact that Ubuntu uses the Dash shell
environment,
which is not 100% compatible with sh or bash (it does not help that /bin/sh is
often
lined to to /bin/dash on Ubuntu systems). Open the runIDV script and look for
the
following (around line 50):

# On some UNIX operating systems, the line below will not work. The
# root issue is that /bin/sh is not completely standard across all
# UNIX operating systems. If that is the case, try this line instead
# prefs=`${java} -client -cp ${dirname}/idv.jar
ucar.unidata.idv.IdvCommandLinePrefs $* 2>&1`
prefs="$(${java} -client -cp ${dirname}/idv.jar
ucar.unidata.idv.IdvCommandLinePrefs $* 2>&1 )"

Uncomment out the first "prefs=..." line and comment out the second "prefs=..."
line.

Let's see if that helps. Also, how much memory do you have installed on your
system?

Cheers,

Sean

Ticket ID: WWP-385269