[IDV #TLU-805180]: Background/basemaps

David,

We are not sure what you mean when you say the MSR maps no longer exist. The
dynamic "Topographic Map" background is available although the
http://msrmaps.com server has been acting flaky leading to timeout errors in
the IDV. (This problem is not in our control).  These workshop sections may
help:
http://www.unidata.ucar.edu/software/idv/release/nightly/docs/workshop/datadisplays/gis/WMS.html,

http://www.unidata.ucar.edu/software/idv/release/nightly/docs/workshop/datadisplays/gis/DEM.html.
 The second one deals with DEM data which you would rather avoid, but perhaps
you can bring in the topographic relief from your model and save it in the
cache as the exercise suggests. Let us know if this is satisfactory.

Best Wishes,

Unidata IDV Support

> Full Name: David Eichorn
> Email Address: address@hidden
> Package Version: 3.1
> Operating System: Linux
> Hardware:
> Description of problem: I am running the WRF and am displaying model output
> (Gempak files) in IDV. Enclosed is what I accomplished yesterday. I would
> like to display this data over a nice background with topography, but the
> background maps provided are apparently not High enough resolution. I get
> large pixels. I see that MSR Maps no longer exists. Any suggestions? The DEMs
> I see at GIS clearing houses are generally too much resolution for my model
> domain. Thanks Dave E.

Ticket ID: TLU-805180
Department: Support IDV