[IDV #BYS-121681]: Adding catalog (RAMADDA-served local file system) fails

Greetings Dave!

If you want to know the URL of a particular datasets catalog, surf
to the dataset via your browser and, when you get to the location
you desire, click the "Connect->THREDDS" RAMADDA menu link in
the browser (not the IDV) and that will show you a "view" of the
dataset as a THREDDS catalog.

Cheers!

Sean

> On Oct 9, 2012, at 3:53 PM, Unidata IDV Support wrote:
>
> > Dave,
> >
> > Let us know if this resolved your issue so that we may close this ticket.
>
> IDV supporters,
>
> I can't actually tell if it's been resolved fully or not! When I expressed
> uncertainly about how I would find out what the "catalog URL" of my RAMADDA
> server is, as opposed to its Web address as viewed in a Web browser, Jeff
> McWhirter responded with the following:
>
> "The Connect->THREDDS menu is the catalog link".
>
> I don't know what the "Connect > THREDDS" menu is in the IDV, though I guess
> I'm supposed to be able to figure that out. So far not, though.
>
> On the other hand, I deduced from Jeff's comment below that if I enter
> "http://virga.sfsu.edu:8080/repository/thredds"; in the "Dashboard > Data
> Choosers > Catalogs > Catalogs:" text box, then I access my RAMADDA server
> just fine. That just doesn't tell me more generally how I can figure out what
> catalog URLs should look like, and how I can locate some catalog servers.
>
> -- Dave
> >
> >> Dave -
> >> You need to specify the catalog URL to the IDV:
> >> http://virga.sfsu.edu:8080/repository/thredds/RAMADDA%20Data%20Repository/SFSU%20Weather%20Data.xml
> >>
> >> You were trying to load the web page
> >>
> >> -Jeff

> > Ticket Details
> > ===================
> > Ticket ID: BYS-121681
> > Department: Support IDV

> *   Dr. Dave Dempsey                        |       ^   ___       \|/     *
> *   Dept. of Geosciences                    |  ) ^     /||_||\    --0--  *
> *   San Francisco State University   | )  )    /  ||_||  \    /|\     *
> *   1600 Holloway Ave.                      |  )  )  /   ||_||    \          *
> *   San Francisco, CA   94132          |  )  ) /    ||_||      \   ^   *
> *   Phone:  (415) 338-7716               |  )  )  )~||~||~~~~ \~~*
> *   FAX:      (415) 338-7705               | )  )  )  ) ~  ~  ~ ~ ~ ~*
> *   Email:   address@hidden        |  )  )   )  ) ) ~  ~   ~ ~ *

Ticket ID: BYS-121681
Department: Support IDV