[IDV #RSK-675725]: Unable to connect to UCAR server

Greetings Larry,

If you were able to get IDV3.0u2 installed and running (did you see the
wireframe in the Map View Window?), then the issue isn't was Java 6. The error
you received indicates that there was a problem talking to adde.ucar.edu. The
support form you submitted says that you got the time out error on 2.8u1 (in
addition to 3.0u2) - is this the case, that you got this error message on both
version of the IDV? Would it be possible to test 3.0u2 from a different network
to see if you are still getting connection errors?

Cheers,

Sean

> Full Name: Larry Hopper
> Email Address: address@hidden
> Operating System: Mac OS X
> Hardware: Java: home:
> /System/Library/Java/JavaVirtualMachines/1.6.0.jdk/Contents/Home version:
> 1.6.0_26 j3d:1.5.2 fcs (build4)
> Description of problem: Error connecting to: adde.ucar.edu
> Error opening connection: java.net.ConnectException: Operation timed out
>
> The error I am receiving is given above. I installed IDV v.2.8.u1 a few years
> ago and had it working today at home and it was connecting to the data
> servers. However, when I tried to install the newest version of IDV
> (v.3.0.u2), it did not connect to the data servers and thus did not work and
> I received the message you see above. I thought I had performed the necessary
> update to Java 6, but I'm assuming that is part of the problem. I uninstalled
> IDV v.3.0.u2 to see if the older version would still work, and it does I have
> a MacBook that is running OS X 10.5.8 and the laptop is almost 4 years old.
>
> In addition, I was able to successfully install IDV v3.0.u2 on my work
> computer (also a Mac) today, so clearly there is a problem with my laptop. My
> work Mac is running OS X 10.6.8 and came with Java 6. It was able to get the
> data much faster than my laptop was able to earlier and therefore had much
> better performance in general.
>
> ******************
> Stack trace:
> edu.wisc.ssec.mcidas.adde.AddeException: Error opening connection:
> java.net.ConnectException: Operation timed out
> at
> edu.wisc.ssec.mcidas.adde.AddePointDataReader.<init>(AddePointDataReader.java:165)
> at
> ucar.unidata.idv.chooser.adde.AddePointDataChooser.readTimes(AddePointDataChooser.java:486)
> at
> ucar.unidata.idv.chooser.adde.AddePointDataChooser.handleUpdate(AddePointDataChooser.java:440)
> at
> ucar.unidata.idv.chooser.adde.AddeChooser.handleConnect(AddeChooser.java:582)
> at
> ucar.unidata.idv.chooser.adde.AddeChooser.handleConnectFromThread(AddeChooser.java:599)
> at
> at

Ticket ID: RSK-675725
Department: Support IDV