[IDV #GDP-431455]: Shape file challenges

> Yuan:
>
> Here are some answers to your questions, but it might get confusing!
>
> With regards to why I am loading the zip, it's because I cannot get
> some of the .shp file to plot at all.  I'm not sure why this particular
> shape file is so problematic.  I have others from other sources that
> plot just fine.  That being said, I have used .zip files in the past
> because it allows for filtering, etc.

Jim,
     In many .shp files, the attribute format (.dbf) and index format (.shx)
are included. They can also be separated. Those shp files you were loading into
the IDV obviously have separated style.

> In the case of the attached with IDV3.0u3, the SkiAreaBoundries
> plot (in the wrong location) if I go to Data>Choose Data and load in the
> zip file.

This likely be a bug in the IDV, I still try to rule out the possibility of the
precision of the data itself.

  If I instead try to load in just the .shp file, I cannot get
> it to plot successfully either via Data>Choose Data or if I try to add
> it as a map.
>
> As you know, the data here is plotted in the wrong location. In the
> attached, I used the kmz file I sent earlier to plot the data using
> IDV2.9u2 (note that IDV3.0u3 cannot read the kmz file) and the shapes
> are plotted in the correct location.  I've used terrain shading so you
> can get an idea of where they should be.

IDV 2.9 and 3.0 should behavior the same. There is no changes since 2.8 in this
portion of the source code. I figure out the problme,  the IDV tried to write a
file named doc.xml in the location it has no permission. I will check in a fix
soon.

> For what it is worth, I've downloaded .shp and .zip files from
> other sites whereby IDV has struggled and is unable to plot the data.
> Download the lesson at
> http://edcommunity.esri.com/arclessons/lesson.cfm?id=397 and see if you
> can plot the various data for Colorado.  Perhaps this is like netCDF
> where not all netCDF files are "created equal."

I will give it a try.

Yuan
> Jim

Ticket ID: GDP-431455