[Staging #RXK-287371]: Re: one more question

On 6/2/2012 1:13 PM, Ben Domenico wrote:
> New Client Reply: Re: one more question
>
> The cause of this difficulty may be the fact that the Minn. MapServer
> requires "service=WMS" on getMap requests.   It isn't part of the spec but
>
> http://trac.osgeo.org/mapserver/ticket/1262
>
> Then the question is whether other server implementations will complain
> about the extra parameter if it is there.

Sorry, guess I didn't read the email carefully enough. Yes, mandatory
for GetCapabilities; not mandatory (or even optional) for GetMap or
GetFeatureInfo.

The TDS will ignore the extra parameter. And I'm guessing that other
servers will ignore unexpected parameters as well. I would even go so
far as to say it is pretty standard web practice to ignore parameters,
headers, and the like (in various contexts) if they are not recognized.

Ethan

> -- Ben
>
> On Sat, Jun 2, 2012 at 12:15 PM, Ben Domenico <address@hidden> wrote:
>
>> Hi Ethan and others,
>>
>> As I read it, Table 3 applies to the getCapabilities request.  It's
>> mandatory in all getCapabilities requests because the service is not
>> obvious in the request name.   But it's not in Table 8 for the getMap
>> request.   That's what I meant about clarifying where the parameter is
>> needed.   I thought the original question was about a getMap URL.
>>
>> -- Ben

Ticket ID: RXK-287371
Department: Support IDV