[IDV #TPP-254601]: More details on "Sunday" problem with OPeNDAP and/or THREDDS

Hi Murray,

It sounds like the IDV is waiting for the server to respond. One way to tell,
besides the blinking light on your ethernet port, is to check the bottom
portion of the Dashboard in the IDV. I'm trying to load the files using the URL
you gave me and the IDV says "Loading in data source: Grids from an OPeNDAP
Server", and the little status bar in the lower right corner of the dashboard
is moving around. I noticed that the IDV status does not really update after
requesting the spatial subset (or temporal) using the upper-left control, but
again, the IDV becomes unresponsive because it it waiting to hear back from the
server.

I think the slowness on the server is due to the fact that they are serving out
a collection of *very* large files, and perhaps the collection is being rebuilt
each time a client tries to access the dataset (maybe caching is turned off on
their server? Not sure). While the collection is being built, the IDV has to
sit and wait for the server to send it back the information on what is
contained in the collection (same thing after you subset in the upper-left).

Unfortunately, I'm not sure there is much we can do on the IDV side in this
case, as I'm pretty sure it's a server performance issue. I'll check with our
THREDDS team to see if the folks at HYCOM have contacted us regarding the
performance of their server.

Cheers,

Sean

Ticket ID: TPP-254601