[IDV #HCE-394586]: IDV and cmip5 data

Greetings Estani,

I wonder if it was the same user whom contacted us. At any rate, the IDV uses
netCDF-java, which should support SSL:

http://www.unidata.ucar.edu/software/netcdf-java/reference/HTTPauthentication.html

Glancing at some of the data access URLs, it looks like THREDDS catalogs are
being used (at least on the LLNL portal). Given that netCDF, netCDF-Java, and
THREDDS are all developed here, I'm sure we can get something working
(especially with your knowledge on the ESGF side!). I'll chat with some people
back at the office to see if maybe this has been taken care-of already (I'm
sure this has been seen and implemented at the netCDF-Java level somewhere),
and I'll look into what we would need to do at the IDV level. I know the IDV
can handle authentication at some level, but it may require a plug-in to be
written to handle the ESGF specifically.

Cheers!

Sean

Ticket ID: HCE-394586
Department: Support IDV