[IDV #QLI-426877]: Extra Lines in IDV map background

Hi Ben,

re:
> I'm working at home to install our Unidata packages for demos on the
> netbook computer I usually take to conferences.   However, when I tried to
> display some of the TDS example files, the IDV map background showed some
> extra lines.   I assume this is a problem with the graphics processor in
> this computer.  Is there a workaround for it or should I look for a
> different computer for IDV demos?   This does not seem to happen on the
> notebook computer in my office, but the netbook computer at home is less
> than a year old and is running 64-bit Windows 7.
>
> Thanks.

The map line "zings" (as I like to call them) are typically seen on machines
with ATI video cards (but there can be others).  The IDV has a preference
that you can toggle that should make the extra lines disappear:

Dashboard -> Edit -> Preferences -> System - Uncheck Enable geometry by
reference

After making the change, exit and relaunch the IDV to make the change take
effect.

I have an additional comment:

- if your netbook is anything like my netbook, it will not make a good
  IDV demo platform.  The reason I say this is that the CPU is likely
  underpowered and you may not have enough memory to launch an IDV
  session that can do everything you may want to show case.

  Some questions about your 64-bit netbook:

  - what is the processor (and how many cores does it have)?

  - how much RAM does your machine have (and can it be expanded)?

  - how long does it take to launch the IDV?

Ticket ID: QLI-426877
Department: Support IDV