[IDV #QXO-930705]: showing boundaries

Bonjour Patrick,

Again, this is very similar to a question you asked earlier for which we
already sent you a reply. I wonder if your spam filter is capturing our
replies. I will simply copy and paste our earlier reply.

In short, it is our understanding that the IDV cannot handle these grids,
unfortunately. We are aware of these new grids, and efforts to describe them
(i.e., gridspec http://www.gfdl.noaa.gov/~vb/gridstd/gridstd.html). But the
underlying IDV infrastructure cannot currently handle this grid. I suppose, one
workaround is to pre-transform the data, before passing it to the IDV.

cordialement,

Unidata IDV Support

> Hi,
>
> Could IDV be able to deal with curvilinear grids or generic grids ?
>
> There is a description of such cases in the CF-Convention
>
> http://cf-pcmdi.llnl.gov/
>
> and the CMIP5 exercice have several ocean models with such configurations.
>
> The ideal purpose would be to display filled polygons from each cells.
> For now, I have noticed that with curvilinear grids, the display of
> "Color-Shaded Plan View" does not work properly because IDV looks for the
> boundaries of cells using boundaries found from the neighborhood cells
> rather than the boundaries of each cells using the netcdf coordinates
> attribut and the variables indicated to store boundaries of cells.
> The display of "Color-Filled Countour Pan View" seems correct.
>
> Extracted from tos_Omon_MPI-ESM-LR_historical_r1i1p1_185001-200512.nc
> from the CMIP5 exercice

> float lon(j, i) ;
> lon:standard_name = "longitude" ;
> lon:long_name = "longitude coordinate" ;
> lon:units = "degrees_east" ;
> lon:bounds = "lon_vertices" ;
> float lat_vertices(j, i, vertices) ;
> lat_vertices:units = "degrees_north" ;
> float lon_vertices(j, i, vertices) ;
> lon_vertices:units = "degrees_east" ;
> float tos(time, j, i) ;
> tos:standard_name = "sea_surface_temperature" ;
> tos:long_name = "Sea Surface Temperature" ;
> tos:missing_value = 1.e+20f ;
> tos:_FillValue = 1.e+20f ;
> tos:coordinates = "lat lon" ;
>
> Attached some plots made with a personnal tool that can managed this
> but which is not so powerful as IDV can be.
>
> Regards
> Patrick
>
> --
> LSCE/IPSL, Laboratoire CEA-CNRS-UVSQ
> Data Analysis and Visualization Engineer
> ICMC - IPSL Climate Modelling Centre
> --

Ticket ID: QXO-930705
Department: Support IDV