[IDV #TZQ-924803]: Radar multi PPI (Volume scan data) in netCDF (.nc) could not be opened using IDV

> Full Name: SB Thampi
> Email Address: address@hidden
> Package Version: 3.0 build date:@DATE@
> Operating System: Linux
> Hardware: Java: home: /home/administrator/IDV_3.0/jre version: 1.6.0_20
> j3d:1.5.2 fcs (build4)
> Description of problem:
>
> Netcdf sweep error:init
> java.lang.NullPointerException
>
> I converted Groundbased  Weather Radar Volume scan data in Gematronik
> Rainbow format to netCDF format using CDL and ncgen utilities.  Unable to
> open the data in IDV though using ncbrowse I am able to open and visualise
> the data. I am attaching the .ncfile for your perusal.  Your kind support
> is solicited.
>
> Regards
> S B Thampi

Hi Mr. Thampi,
       I checked the netCDF file you attached, this nc file doesn't follow any
conventions required by the IDV and can not be constructed as a radial type
netCDF file. If you want to generate nc format, please follow this convention:

http://www.ral.ucar.edu/projects/titan/docs/radial_formats/CfRadialDoc.pdf

Also be aware that this document is still under development.

I wonder what is the original format of the radar volume file, does it use the
format like NEXRAD? If so, you probably don't need to do any format converting.

Yuan

> [...]
> at org.python.core.PyReflectedFunction.__call__(PyReflectedFunction.java:204)
> at org.python.core.PyObject.__call__(PyObject.java:387)
> at org.python.core.PyObject.__call__(PyObject.java:391)
> at org.python.core.PyMethod.__call__(PyMethod.java:109)
> at org.python.pycode._pyx66.f$0(<string>:1)
> at org.python.pycode._pyx66.call_function(<string>)
> at org.python.core.PyTableCode.call(PyTableCode.java:165)
> at org.python.core.PyCode.call(PyCode.java:18)
> at org.python.core.Py.runCode(Py.java:1261)
> at org.python.core.Py.exec(Py.java:1305)
> at org.python.util.PythonInterpreter.exec(PythonInterpreter.java:206)
> at ucar.unidata.idv.JythonManager.evaluateTrusted(JythonManager.java:1508)
> at
> ucar.unidata.idv.IntegratedDataViewer.handleFileOrUrlAction(IntegratedDataViewer.java:1559)
> at
> ucar.unidata.idv.IntegratedDataViewer.handleAction(IntegratedDataViewer.java:1659)
> at ucar.unidata.idv.DefaultIdv.handleAction(DefaultIdv.java:114)
> at
> ucar.unidata.idv.IntegratedDataViewer.handleAction(IntegratedDataViewer.java:1623)
> at
> ucar.unidata.idv.IntegratedDataViewer.actionPerformed(IntegratedDataViewer.java:1706)
> at javax.swing.AbstractButton.fireActionPerformed(Unknown Source)
> at javax.swing.AbstractButton$Handler.actionPerformed(Unknown Source)
> at javax.swing.DefaultButtonModel.fireActionPerformed(Unknown Source)
> at javax.swing.DefaultButtonModel.setPressed(Unknown Source)
> at javax.swing.AbstractButton.doClick(Unknown Source)
> at javax.swing.plaf.basic.BasicMenuItemUI.doClick(Unknown Source)
> at javax.swing.plaf.basic.BasicMenuItemUI$Handler.mouseReleased(Unknown
> Source)
> at java.awt.Component.processMouseEvent(Unknown Source)
> at javax.swing.JComponent.processMouseEvent(Unknown Source)
> at java.awt.Component.processEvent(Unknown Source)
> at java.awt.Container.processEvent(Unknown Source)
> at java.awt.Component.dispatchEventImpl(Unknown Source)
> at java.awt.Container.dispatchEventImpl(Unknown Source)
> at java.awt.Component.dispatchEvent(Unknown Source)
> at java.awt.LightweightDispatcher.retargetMouseEvent(Unknown Source)
> at java.awt.LightweightDispatcher.processMouseEvent(Unknown Source)
> at java.awt.LightweightDispatcher.dispatchEvent(Unknown Source)
> at java.awt.Container.dispatchEventImpl(Unknown Source)
> at java.awt.Component.dispatchEvent(Unknown Source)
> at java.awt.EventQueue.dispatchEvent(Unknown Source)
> at java.awt.EventDispatchThread.pumpOneEventForFilters(Unknown Source)
> at java.awt.EventDispatchThread.pumpEventsForFilter(Unknown Source)
> at java.awt.EventDispatchThread.pumpEventsForHierarchy(Unknown Source)
> at java.awt.EventDispatchThread.pumpEvents(Unknown Source)
> at java.awt.EventDispatchThread.pumpEvents(Unknown Source)
> at java.awt.EventDispatchThread.run(Unknown Source)

Ticket ID: TZQ-924803