[IDV #MUS-211252]: IDV v3.0b1: Streamlines colored by wind speed; winds on isosurfaces

> Yuan and Julien,
>
> Two questions about IDV capabilities:
>
> (1) Is it possible to color streamlines based on the wind speed? (I don't see
> any obvious way to do this, and no reference to it in the User's Guide.)

Hi Dave,
       The answer to your first question is unfortunately no. This feature will
likely to require the changes in the ViSAD library.

> (2) Is it possible to plot wind barbs or wind vectors on an isosurface of
> another quantity other than pressure, such as potential temperature (an
> isentropic surface)? To do so seems as if it would require knowing the height
> field of the isosurface, which defines the topography on which the winds
> would be plotted. The IDV currently can plot wind vectors on isobaric
> surfaces because the geopotential heights of such surfaces are available in
> forecast model data files, but if the IDV calculates the height field for
> other kinds of isosurfaces as a necessary step toward creating an isosurface
> plot, then couldn't winds be plotted on that topography, too?

If I understand the second question correctly, I believe that drawing the wind
vectors over an isofurface of another quantity is possible in the IDV. In the
Displays, you can select the 3D surface, and then Vector Over Topography. When
the new window popup, you need to use Formula > Misc > Change Unit, and then
select the variable like potential temperature, the trick is to use the change
unit formula since the unit of topography need to be convertible to the unit of
height.

Yuan

> -- Dave

> *   Dr. Dave Dempsey                        |       ^   ___       \|/     *
> *   Dept. of Geosciences                    |  ) ^     /||_||\    --0--  *
> *   San Francisco State University   | )  )    /  ||_||  \    /|\     *
> *   1600 Holloway Ave.                      |  )  )  /   ||_||    \          *
> *   San Francisco, CA   94132          |  )  ) /    ||_||      \   ^   *
> *   Phone:  (415) 338-7716               |  )  )  )~||~||~~~~ \~~*
> *   FAX:      (415) 338-7705               | )  )  )  ) ~  ~  ~ ~ ~ ~*
> *   Email:   address@hidden        |  )  )   )  ) ) ~  ~   ~ ~ *

Ticket ID: MUS-211252
Department: Support IDV