[IDV #WGK-260322]: WRF cross-sections: showing terrain and freezing level

> Full Name: Kelly Mahoney
> Email Address: address@hidden
> Operating System: Windows XP
> Hardware: Java: home: C:\Program Files\IDV_2.9u1\jre version: 1.6.0_20
> j3d:1.5.2 fcs (build4)
> Description of problem: Hi,
> I'm trying to do vertical cross-section plots of various hydrometeor fields
> with the WRF model terrain shown, as well as the freezing level height. I can
> do the hydrometeor displays no problem but can't figure out how to see the
> terrain via the cross-section tool. The terrain height fields are 2D, but you
> can plot them as topography in 3D...so I'm wondering if there's a way to get
> that into a 2D vertical cross section as well?

Hi Kelly,
       The answer to your question is yes, the IDV can plot a 2D vertical cross
section of 2D terrain height. When you want to put multiple field in the same
cross section, you need to bring up the transect view window, File > New > View
Window > Misc > Transect and Map, and it will
be good to close the original map view window to avoid the confusion. To
display the 2D cross section of terrain, select the Transect View on the left
by clicking in the window, and select the terrain data source in the Field
Selector and create a Data Transect display.  In the transect display, you can
add multiple fields. To reproduce the C image, you first create a cross section
display of certain variable, and then create the Data Transect display of
terrain. Here is a detail information of workshop guide of the transect display:

"http://www.unidata.ucar.edu/software/idv/docs/workshop/datadisplays/transect/TransectDisplay.html";

Yuan

> I'm attaching a pdf file with 3 images:
> a. just the hydromet field -- I'd like to add an outline of the model terrain
> through this particular cross-section to it (as well as freezing level height
> eventually)
> b. *almost* what I'm getting at, but doing it this way shows all of the
> terrain and not just through that vertical plane...and the background of the
> vert cross-section blocks the terrain anyway.
> c. A similar plot I made in NCL, just as an example of what I am going for
> -- it has its own issues, which is why I'd prefer to do this in IDV.
> (Adding the freezing level is another question, and more fundamental perhaps,
> about how to turn standard WRF output variables (i.e., perturbation pot temp,
> etc) into actual temperature to plot the 0deg isotherm...)
> Thanks very much in advance for any help or suggestions you may have!
> Kelly Mahoney

Ticket ID: WGK-260322
Department: Support IDV