[IDV #ZEO-881615]: Screen Capture and Other Issues

> Julien,
>
> That is ok. Here are two I keep getting questions about:
>
> Horizontal Flux Divergence

horizontal scalar flux divergence defined as u*(dp/dx) + v*(dp/dy) + p*(du/dx +
dv/dy)
> Potential Temperature

  theta = t * (1000/p)** .286

The url of the user guide may have some information you are looking for:

http://www.unidata.ucar.edu/software/idv/docs/userguide/tools/JythonLib.html

Yuan

> Thanks!
>
> Stefan
> --
> Stefan Cecelski
> Ph.D. Candidate and Graduate Research Assistant
> AOSC Department: University of Maryland College Park
> 2343 Computer and Space Sciences Building(CSS #224)
> 703.801.1370
> address@hidden
>
> On Fri, May 13, 2011 1:58 pm, Unidata IDV Support wrote:
> >> Julien,
> >>
> >> Before we open another can of worms, I would like to make one request. I
> >> have convinced my research group at UMD to use IDV(~5 students). For our
> >> research, we NEED to know the formulas we use to calculate variables
> >> such
> >> as Theta-e, Horizontal Flux Divergence and so forth. There are copious
> >> ways of calculating these variables, and literature proves that some
> >> ways
> >> are more accurate than others. I would like to request that a PDF
> >> document, or some literature is created that lists how the derived
> >> variables in the IDV are calculated. I understand in the formula editor
> >> we
> >> can see which variables are going into it, but we need documentation on
> >> the actual formulas used. For example, there are at least 3 different
> >> ways
> >> to calculate Theta-e(Equivalent Potential Temp). It has been shown that
> >> the method by Bolton(~1980) is the best. Documentation of which formulas
> >> are used are essential for research as in peer-reviewed papers, you must
> >> know the formulas, and will be asked about them for the very reasons
> >> mentioned above. Thanks in advance.
> >>
> >> V/R,
> >>
> >> Stefan
> >> --
> >

> > Stefan,
> >
> >       I believe there is no document available for these formulas. Most
> > formulas in the IDV were created by Don in Jython or Java, and I
> > believed he referenced those formulas in the GEMPAK. With limit
> > resources here, it is unlikely to spend more time to create the
> > document for these formulas. However, I can provide more details
> > information for specific formula if the request is raised.  Sorry
> > about the inconvenience.
> >

> > Yuan
> >
> > Ticket Details
> > Ticket ID: ZEO-881615