[IDV #ZEO-881615]: Screen Capture and Other Issues

> Julien,
>
> Before we open another can of worms, I would like to make one request. I
> have convinced my research group at UMD to use IDV(~5 students). For our
> research, we NEED to know the formulas we use to calculate variables such
> as Theta-e, Horizontal Flux Divergence and so forth. There are copious
> ways of calculating these variables, and literature proves that some ways
> are more accurate than others. I would like to request that a PDF
> document, or some literature is created that lists how the derived
> variables in the IDV are calculated. I understand in the formula editor we
> can see which variables are going into it, but we need documentation on
> the actual formulas used. For example, there are at least 3 different ways
> to calculate Theta-e(Equivalent Potential Temp). It has been shown that
> the method by Bolton(~1980) is the best. Documentation of which formulas
> are used are essential for research as in peer-reviewed papers, you must
> know the formulas, and will be asked about them for the very reasons
> mentioned above. Thanks in advance.
>
> V/R,
>
> Stefan
> --

Stefan,

      I believe there is no document available for these formulas. Most
formulas in the IDV were created by Don in Jython or Java, and I believed he
referenced those formulas in the GEMPAK. With limit resources here, it is
unlikely to spend more time to create the document for these formulas. However,
I can provide more details information for specific formula if the request is
raised.  Sorry about the inconvenience.

Yuan

Ticket ID: ZEO-881615
Department: Support IDV