[IDV #FDK-698636]: IDV v. Panoply OPeNDAP access

> On Apr 5, 2011, at 5:01 PM, Unidata IDV Support wrote:
>
> >> First, let me stipulate that I know IDV does many things Panoply doesn't,
> >> and I use and proselytize it regularly.  But lately i have run into a
> >> couple discrepancies where Panoply can handle data through OPeNDAP that
> >> IDV struggles with due to performance reasons.  I wonder if there is
> >> anything you can do to catch up...
> >>
> >> Case #1:  MODIS Level 3 data in OPeNDAP, hyrax variety (please do not
> >> advertise this URL, though, it is intended primarily for machine use by
> >> our Giovanni app):
> >>
> >> http://disc1.gsfc.nasa.gov/opendap/Aqua_MODIS_Level3/MYD08_D3.051/2011/MYD08_D3.A2011001.051.2011005093254.pscs_000500527176.hdf
> >>
> >> This is a very large file with many, many variables.  That said, Panoply
> >> takes about 20-25 seconds to inventory the variables in the file, and
> >> another 5-10 secs to display one.  IDV takes ~6 minutes to inventory the
> >> data file on a MacBook Pro, but then about the same time as Panoply to
> >> display one variable. (BTW, this is actually a subset of the original
> >> MODIS L3 file, which is even larger!)
> >>

> > I tried this url and it took about 15 seconds, so it really depends on the
> > network traffic and loads of the server.
>
> And yet, every time I have tried this URL on my laptop, it has taken at least
> 5 minutes to inventory the file.  The server has > 90% idle (load average
> about 2) during the transaction and usually serves very little data either to
> the public or our internal machines, due to its less-popular holdings.  And
> this does not explain why Panoply, when executed either shortly before or
> shortly after, takes less than 30 seconds to inventory the same URL.
>

> >> Case #2 Merged IR in OPeNDAP of the GrADS Data Server (GDS) variety:
> >> http://disc2.nascom.nasa.gov:80/dods/MergedIR
> >>
> >> GDS presents the whole dataset as one huge "file".  Panoply can display
> >> this after a few minutes of churning; however IDV eventually errors out
> >> after several minutes with a message about Java heap space.
> >>
> >> Case #2 would be more useful for us to get fixed--we had a user asking us
> >> how to read the Merged IR through IDV.
> >>
> >> Anything you can do?
> >
> > My IDV has 4G memory, and it has no problem to load the data. So the
> > solution for your user is to increase the memory.
>
> What do you mean your "IDV has 4G memory"?  Is there some way of allocating
> more memory to that particular app on a Mac laptop?  (I know there was on old
> Mac operating systems, but I cannot find the mechanism on Snow Leopard.)  Or
> do you mean I  have to add more physical memory to my laptop?  It actually
> currently has 4 GB.  Also, since many of our users come from the developing
> world, or small institutions, we cannot always suggest to them to upgrade
> their hardware.

Yes, you can allocate more memory to the IDV, see the FAQ here:
http://www.unidata.ucar.edu/software/IDV/docs/userguide/Faq.html.

And you still need to subset the time dimension of the dataset when creating
the display.  The idea of input the url like this
http://disc2.nascom.nasa.gov/dods/MergedIR.ch4[0:5][0:0][0:3297][0:9895]lon[0:9895]lat[0:3297]lev[0:0].dds

is bad, you can subset after loading the dataset
http://disc2.nascom.nasa.gov/dods/MergedIR, and then create the display.

Yuan