[IDV #TNW-894406]: IDV: Lightning data

> On Feb 28, 2011, at 1:35 PM, Unidata IDV Support wrote:
>
> > Please see the IDV screen casts located at
> >
> > http://motherlode.ucar.edu/repository/entry/show/RAMADDA/Unidata/Staff/Julien+Chastang/Screen+cast?entryid=91013a46-c12c-4b1c-9f70-b646e27702be
> >
> > called "Dave Light".
>
> Julien,
>
> I find this an effective way to communicate some IDV "how to"s. (One
> drawback, though: your screen is taller (in pixels) than mine , and my
> browser won't allow me to scale or pan around the image, so the top and
> bottom are cut off and I can't always make out what menus you're accessing or
> menu items you're choosing.)
> >
> > I bumble around a bit and also in the second lightning example, I should
> > have chosen the "NAPLN" data source type, but hopefully this should be
> > useful to you. Both movies are the same, but under different file formats.
>
> OK, I think I understand the basic approach, and the default display (done as
> an animation with 30-minute frame intervals showing all lightning strikes
> within each 30-minute interval) is something that we can play around with.
> Saving the plot as a bundle that plots the latest data, or selected data
> files, while preserving the animation configuration, would make creating a
> display accessible to most students. (Otherwise there were too many steps to
> be reasonable for most students.)
>
> I don't know whether or not you intended the screen captured steps to be a
> model for how to use our existing IDV v2.9u2 to plot the NLDN data that we're
> getting from Albany, but it doesn't appear to work--the IDV couldn't read our
> (binary) files assuming either SSEC lightning data format or (not
> surprisingly) the NAPLN text file format (details below, in case it matters).
>
> -- Dave

Dave,
    I created a lightning bundle (attached) for you to experiment the NLDN
data. When you load the bundle, you need to change the datapath to point to
your local data set, I would suggest using the file "201106000.ingest" which is
the one I used in this bundle, the lightning layout model is fade by time, the
result is very cool.

Yuan

> [...]
> *   Dept. of Geosciences                    |  ) ^     /||_||\    --0--  *
> *   San Francisco State University   | )  )    /  ||_||  \    /|\     *
> *   1600 Holloway Ave.                      |  )  )  /   ||_||    \          *
> *   San Francisco, CA   94132          |  )  ) /    ||_||      \   ^   *
> *                                                             | )  )  )
> ||_||        \      *
> *   Phone:  (415) 338-7716               |  )  )  )~||~||~~~~ \~~*
> *   FAX:      (415) 338-7705               | )  )  )  ) ~  ~  ~ ~ ~ ~*
> *   Email:   address@hidden        |  )  )   )  ) ) ~  ~   ~ ~ *
>
> "There was an error loading the data:
> Error creating data source:netcdf.point.sseclightning
> with:
> http://virga.sfsu.edu:8080/repository/entry/show/output:data.opendap/entryid:synth:e83a2159-aefd-4851-be45-20bce32812e7:L25sZG4vMjMvMjAxMTAzODIzMDAubmxkbg==/20110382300.nldn/dodsC/entry.das
> Point obs data source failed making data set:
> /Users/dempsey/.unidata/idv/DefaultIdv/tmp/ncmltemplate1.ncml
> Unable to make a PointDataset from
> /Users/dempsey/.unidata/idv/DefaultIdv/tmp/ncmltemplate1.ncml
> Error ="
>
> Details:
>
> "ucar.unidata.data.BadDataException: Unable to make a PointDataset from
> /Users/dempsey/.unidata/idv/DefaultIdv/tmp/ncmltemplate1.ncml
> Error =
> at
> ucar.unidata.data.point.NetcdfPointDataSource.doMakeDataset(NetcdfPointDataSource.java:282)
> at
> ucar.unidata.data.point.NetcdfPointDataSource.getDataset(NetcdfPointDataSource.java:252)
> at
> ucar.unidata.data.point.NetcdfPointDataSource.initAfterCreation(NetcdfPointDataSource.java:209)
> at ucar.unidata.data.DataManager.createDataSource(DataManager.java:1559)
> at
> ucar.unidata.idv.IntegratedDataViewer.createDataSource(IntegratedDataViewer.java:1998)
> at
> ucar.unidata.idv.IntegratedDataViewer.makeDataSource(IntegratedDataViewer.java:1915)
> at
> ucar.unidata.idv.IntegratedDataViewer.makeDataSource(IntegratedDataViewer.java:1849)
> at
> ucar.unidata.idv.IntegratedDataViewer.makeDataSource(IntegratedDataViewer.java:1822)
> at ucar.unidata.idv.chooser.IdvChooser.makeDataSource(IdvChooser.java:943)
> at ucar.unidata.idv.chooser.XmlChooser.makeDataSource(XmlChooser.java:280)
> at
> ucar.unidata.idv.chooser.ThreddsHandler.processNodes(ThreddsHandler.java:851)
> at ucar.unidata.idv.chooser.ThreddsHandler.doLoad(ThreddsHandler.java:700)
> at ucar.unidata.idv.chooser.XmlChooser.doLoadInThread(XmlChooser.java:717)
> at
> at
> at ucar.unidata.util.Misc$3.run(Misc.java:1090)"

Ticket ID: TNW-894406
Department: Support IDV