[IDV #EHW-921191]: IDV problem with smoothing grids

> Hi....
>
> A user had put a contour-over-topography (model data, 1000hPa
> temperatures draped over the 1000hPa height field) and when he the
> smoothed the contours using the Control option, the contour display
> ended up being re-drawn down at z=0 instead of being 'draped'....
>
> I talked with Don who said the issue is that "the ScalarMap of height
> to Z now points to the wrong parameter, so it does indeed plot at z =
> 0"
>
> I have given the user a work-around for now -- to use the gwfs()
> function in the Jython library to create a smoothed grid initially and
> drape that over the topography...but perhaps the other should be
> fixed...
>
> tom

Hi Tom,
      We figured out the problem in the source code, and I checked with Don
about
the possible solution. Here is two different approaches, and I would like to
get
your opinion.
      There are two problems in this ticket, one is the topography field gets
smoothed when
user applies any smoothing request, and the second is the topography filed is
no longer valid
after the smoothed.
      So the first approach is to solve the second problem and ignore the first
one, assuming the
user does't care that much. If the user does care, then your suggestion about
the formula is the
answer. The second apporach is to remove the smoothing option when you have
something over the
topography.
      What do you think?

Yuan

> --
> Tom Whittaker
> University of Wisconsin-Madison
> Space Science & Engineering Center (SSEC)
> Cooperative Institute for Meteorological Satellite Studies (CIMSS)
> 1225 W. Dayton Street
> Madison, WI  53706  USA
> ph: +1 608 262 2759

Ticket ID: EHW-921191