[IDV #AGS-820540]: IDV v2.9: Two questions

> IDV supporter(s),
>
> I'm running IDV v2.9 (either a nightly update from sometime in the past 3-4
> months or the official release, depending the on the particular computer I'm
> using). I'm running it under Mac OS X v10.6 (Snow Leopard).
>
> I have a question about JNLP files. I got the impression from reading the
> Users Guide that opening a JNLP file will either start a locally installed
> IDV if its the most current version, or download the most current version
> from Unidata, before executing the plotting instructions in the file.
> However, when I create and save a JNLP file using IDV v2.9, then open the
> JNLP file, it causes IDV v2.9u1 do download and run before creating a plot.
> This takes a fair bit of time that I'd like to avoid, and having the current
> release version of the IDV installed (or a nightly update of it since the
> official release) seems as if it should eliminate the IDV download step,
> particularly since I think it's an older version of the IDV that it downloads.

Hi Dave,
     In the client side you can modify the JNLP to run the application offline,
I think adding the following line:
 <offline-allowed/>

According to information I googled, if offline-allowed is specified, Java Web
Start will also check to see if an update is available. However, if the
application is already downloaded the check will timeout after a few seconds,
in which case the cached application will be launched instead.

Let me know if this is not the feature you are expecting.

> What might be going on here?
>
> I have another question about configuring the IDV upon startup. For a
> particular lab activity, I'd like the IDV to open with the Dashboard window
> in front (or perhaps the only window open), with the Quickstart menu already
> selected. I don't see anything in the IDV Preferences configuration dialog
> windows that will allow me to specify either of these two start-up
> configuration choices. Am I looking in the wrong place, or just not seeing
> something, or are those things not configurable?

No, I don't think the IDV has this preference setting available.

Yuan
> -- Dave

> *   Dr. Dave Dempsey                        |       ^   ___       \|/     *
> *   Dept. of Geosciences                    |  ) ^     /||_||\    --0--  *
> *   San Francisco State University   | )  )    /  ||_||  \    /|\     *
> *   1600 Holloway Ave.                      |  )  )  /   ||_||    \          *
> *   San Francisco, CA   94132          |  )  ) /    ||_||      \   ^   *
> *   Phone:  (415) 338-7716               |  )  )  )~||~||~~~~ \~~*
> *   FAX:      (415) 338-7705               | )  )  )  ) ~  ~  ~ ~ ~ ~*
> *   Email:   address@hidden        |  )  )   )  ) ) ~  ~   ~ ~ *

Ticket ID: AGS-820540
Department: Support IDV