[GEMPAK #GYF-355797]: Specifying map projection when displaying surface data

Hi Kwan,

Sorry for the slow reply...

re:
> I am trying to have McIDAS-V display surface data on a satellite
> projection over a very specific area.  I have the desired map
> background displayed (sat proj with origin at 0,140E, and centered at
> 22N, 115E).  But whenever I attempt to load a surface data set, McIDAS-
> V would change the map area to fit the data area, and I cannot find a
> way to set the map background to the original view.  I have tried the
> followings to preserve and retrieve this map background.
>
> 1. I right-clicked on the blue "Default map background" on the right
> panel (i.e. Legend), and selected "View", and "save as favorite", but
> I could not find where to retrieve this favorite view area.
>
> 2. On the top menu, I selected "Tools", then "Projections", and "save
> current view".  But after saving it with a filename, I went back
> to "Projections", but McIDAS-V could not list out this newly saved map
> filename under "Saved projection".
>
> 3. I tried to define a new map projection using the McIDAS-V Java
> tool.  I could specify the projection as "Vertical perspective", and
> the origin as "0, 140E", but I could not specify 15N, 115E as the
> center of the map view.
>
> I am running out of ideas at this point.  Any help is appreciated.
> Thanks.

Here is what to do:

- load the image and set the display the way you want (zoom-in, zoom-out,
  whatever)

- click on Projections just above the displayed image and unselect
  the Auto-set Projection option

- load the point data

By unelecting the Augo-set Projection option, you are telling the application
to _not_ switch to the new projection when loading new datasets.  I just
tried this and believe that it is what your are looking for.

Ticket ID: GYF-355797
Department: Support McV