[IDV #FIV-977182]: profile time-series data example

> Folks-
>
> I am having trouble getting NetCDF data from a stationary bottom mounted
> ADCP to display in IDV.  I have the point.zip examples and have tried
> to  make our files have the appropriate shape, but have only succeeded
> in displaying the velocity time series from what I assume is the first
> depth.  I would like to display time as X and depth as Y with color
> filled contours similar to this plot:
> http://pubs.usgs.gov/of/2002/of02-217/Visuals/Data_Visuals/Mult_Sites/adcp_val_rot.pdf
>
> The first problem, is that I don't know which option is correct in the
> data chooser.  It perceives that the data is not a grid (good) and asks
> about alternate types, but if I open it as netcdf/GEMPAK point data
> files as works for time series at a single depth there are no plotting
> options appropriate to profiles.  I didn't see any name that suggested
> netcdf Profile.
Ellyn,
      The IDV is only capable of dealing with the profiler data from the ADDE
server at this moment. So, the data you are trying can not be treated as the
Profiler data, and even with the ADDE profiler dataset, we can not do the
display you show in the example file.
       However, there is a netcdf group in the Unidata working on the CF
standard of netcdf profiler dataset, and if you have any question about writing
a good netcdf profiler data,  you can send your question to address@hidden.

Here is some information:

http://www.unidata.ucar.edu/software/netcdf-java/reference/FeatureDatasets/PointFeatures.html

Yuan

I tried using "wind profiler data" but the chooser
> wasn't able to open the file with that option.

> Sample ADCP data can be accessed here :
> http://coast-enviro.er.usgs.gov/thredds/dodsC/MBAY_LT/7561adc-a.nc.
> Perhaps you can identify what IDV doesn't like and let me know what I've
> missed in profile plotting.
>
> Thanks very much!  Ellyn
>
> --
> Ellyn T. Montgomery, Oceanographer and Data Manager
> U.S. Geological Survey
> Woods Hole Coastal and Marine Science Center
> 384 Woods Hole Road, Woods Hole, MA 02543-1598
> (508)457-2356

Ticket ID: FIV-977182
Department: Support IDV