[IDV #ZBT-754250]: DEM files

Hi Robert-

> Another thing I noticed is that the old DEMs are 16bit pixel depth and the
> newer ones are 32bit pixel depth. Does this have anything to do with it?

I'm not sure what you mean by this but here's another way to get topography
data.  There are topography datasets available through the catalog chooser in
the IDV.  You can load one of these in, subsetting over the domain you want
first and then save it to a local netCDF file.

In the Catalog chooser, select the Topography/Bathymetry dataset.  Select the
ETOPO1 (or
any other dataset) that you want and click Add Source.  In the Field Selector,
right click
on the data source and bring up the properties.  Under the Spatial Subset tab,
set the bounds of the region you are interested in and click OK.  You can try
plotting the data to make sure
you have the correct area, and/or right click on the datasource again and
select "Write Local
Grid".  This will write the selected data to a local file.

That might be asier than piecing together the other data.

Don Murray

Ticket ID: ZBT-754250
Department: Support IDV