[IDV #BIG-535678]: Where can I find GFS data older than 45 days old?

Hi Dave-

> Thanks for your help.  The NCDC NOMADs server should work for what I
> need.  Thanks for sending the explicit link to it.  It will be a great
> resource for me both for my current project and in the future.
>
> For the other data sets you mentioned -- the ones at:
>
> Community Data Servers->Unidata Program Center Servers->Unidata LEAD
> Server->NCEP Model Data->Global Forecast System Model

It looks like this is running an old version of the server.  I've notified the
THREDDS group here of your problems.  See my comments below though:

> Unfortunately, they do not give me what I need.  Here are the problems
> with them:
>
> o Global 0.5 degree
>
> After hitting "Add Source" IDV appeared to try to load the data, but
> then
> gave the following error message:
>
> There was an error loading the data:
> Error creating data source:OPENDAP.Grid with:
> http://lead.unidata.ucar.edu:8080/thredds/dodsC/model/NCEP/GFS
> /Global_0p5deg/GFS_Global_0p5deg_20100206_1200.grib2
> Grid data source failed making data set:
> dods://lead.unidata.ucar.edu:8080/thredds/dodsC/model/NCEP/GFS
> /Global_0p5deg/GFS_Global_0p5deg_20100206_1200.grib2
> Variable name (N5-Wave_Geopotential_Height_Anomaly)
> must be unique within Group

This is a bug.  Hopefully updating the server will fix that.

> o Global 1 degree
>
> Contains no forecast data sets; only has initial data.

A configuration problem.

> o Global 2.5 degree
>
> Forecast data available only for forecasts beginning with
> Day 8 (192 hours)..

That's expected and the same on other servers.

> o Northern Hemisphere
>
> Has initial data and forecast data out to 120 hours, but the
> resolution is much too coarse for what I need.

I take it you need more than what the 80km CONUS covers.

> In all cases I used "I'm Feeling Lucky" for my Data Source Type.

That should work (with the caveats above).

> Thanks again for your help!

No problem.

Don

> > Hi Dave-
> >
> >> Full Name: Dave Linder
> >> Email Address: address@hidden
> >> Package Version: 2.8u1 build date:2010-02-02 22:30 UTC
> >> Operating System: Linux
> >> Hardware: Java: home: /.automounts/comet/linder/IDV/bin/IDV_2.8u1/jre
> >> version: 1.6.0_17 j3d:1.5.2 fcs (build4)
> >> Description of problem: Folks,
> >>
> >> I'm looking for GFS data, both initial and forecast, over Asia for a few
> >> days in early February 2010.  After looking through the data available in
> >> the "Community Data Servers" area, the only data sets I could find which
> >> might help were the GFS 381km data set (which seems to have everythign I
> >> need but on a very coarse grid) and longer range forecasts (forecasts>
> >> 180 hours) in the GFS 2.5 degree data set.  Are there any other GFS
> >> archive data sets which would give a better resolution than the 381km grid
> >> and would have forecast grids between 6-96 hours?
> >
> > There are two places:
> >
> > - in the catalog, under Community Data Servers->Unidata Program Center
> > Servers->Unidata LEAD Server->NCEP Model Data->Global Forecast System Model
> > - NCDC's NOMADs server
> > (http://nomads.ncdc.noaa.gov/thredds/catalog/gfs-hi/catalog.xml)
> >
> > Don Murray
> >
> > Ticket Details