[McV #IVP-555693]: McIDAS Text point data inputs

Hi,

> Over the past weekend, I downloaded McIDAS-V and was able to run it on
> my Windows XP at home.  I have been exploring what McIDAS-V can do
> since then.  I started off with the most basic functionality, such as
> not overwhelm my laptop too much.  I have to say that the changes
> together with the new possibilities that come with McIDAS-V are so
> revolutionary that extra time was needed for me to learn.  I was
> surprised by how fast McIDAS-V could zoom in and out just by scrolling
> the middle mouse button without reissuing a new IMGDISP command.  I
> also learned that it could overlaid images (e.g. radar over IR
> images), and could turn either one on and off easily.  Looks like
> there are still much more to be explored.

Thanks. McIDAS-V really has no connection to McIDAS. Instead it is based on the
IDV which provides this interactivity.

> In the course of my explorations, I also believe that I have
> encountered a couple of bugs.  They are
>
> 1. As I tried to change the magnification factor when loading an image
> in "Data Sources", I found that if a positive number was specified,
> McIDAS-V would load the image as if I had specified a negative
> number.  e.g. if I put in MAG=3x3, then the image would be loaded 3
> times smaller.  When I specified MAG=-3x-3, the image was loaded 3
> times smaller as expected.

A negative magnification in the image chooser results in a lower resolution.

> 2. In Field Selector, after more than one datasets have been added, if
> I attempt to remove a dataset (by right-clicking) that is NOT on the
> bottom, all of the other dataset tabs would disappear.

I cannot replicate this problem in the IDV. Perhaps it is a McIDAS-V problem
You should contact their support.

> In addition, I have successfully displayed user-defined text point
> data in McIDAS-V as in
> http://www.ssec.wisc.edu/mcidas/doc/mcv_guide/1.0beta5/data/TextPointDa
> ta.html (i.e., surface station models).  However, I have been
> unsuccessful in getting weather symbols to be displayed using this
> method.  I could not find relevant information about this on the above
> web page either.  How would one supply present weather in the text
> file and be able to display that using weather symbols?

Define a numeric field in the point data with the name WX with the values 0-103
that correspond to the WMO values and symbols, e.g:
 http://www.rap.ucar.edu/weather/info/about_wxsymbol.html

You could also call this parameter any other name (e.g., presentweather) and
add an alias
for the canonical name "WX":
http://www.unidata.ucar.edu/software/IDV/docs/userguide/tools/AliasEditor.html

-Jeff