[IDV #QAW-317402]: Can't get IDV 2.7u2 to image a gridded field in a netCDF file that (I think) has data stored with best practices

>To Don Middleton:

Actually, it's Don Murray.  We get confused all the time. ;-)

> Following the instructions on how to make a display with IDV I get this far
> with G11.20090602.0715.nc but no further:
>
> (Embedded image moved to file: pic15890.gif)

I ran the file with my version of IDV 2.7u2 and got the attached display.  Does
the map show in your Region tab, like in mine?

> IDV recognizes the file has 2d grids but provides no choices for making a
> display.

It seems like something is wrong with the IDV installation.  Here are a couple
of things to try:

1) install the latest version (2.8u1) and see if you still have problems.  Make
sure it installs to a different directory.

2) If that doesn't work (or if you can't upgrade), try renaming the IDV
resources directory:

- rename the .unidata/idv/DefaultIdv directory under your user account to
DefaultIdv.bak
- start the IDV, load in the file and see if you get the displays to show up
when you click on a field.

If that works, then there is a problem with one of the preferences stored in
the IDV resources directory.  Have you customized the IDV with a plugin or by
changing the preferences (possibly removing the displays in the
Preferences->Available Displays tab)?

Don Murray

Ticket ID: QAW-317402
Department: Support IDV