[IDV #WYJ-656722]: yet another grib1 idiom

Hi HP-

> Full Name: HansPeter Roesli
> Email Address: address@hidden
> Package Version: 2.9a1 build date:@DATE@
> Operating System: Windows Vista
> Hardware: Java: home: C:\Program Files\IDV_2.9a1\jre version: 1.6.0_17
> j3d:1.5.2 fcs (build4)
> Description of problem: Hi -
>
> I have got this grib file from a colleague working at the South African
> Weather Service. They are running a regional version of the UK Met Office
> Unified Model. Looks like another grib(1) idiom. It appears that the number
> of grib variants equals the nuber of models running (at least). Would it be
> possible to decode it?

As usual, it's a matter of not having the right tables.  I took a look at the
data and am guessing that it's U & V winds.  I made a table following the
guidelines at:

http://www.unidata.ucar.edu/software/IDV/docs/userguide/data/GribTables.html

The attached plugin has the grib1tablelookup.lst and a fabricated file for the
two parameters (201, 202).  Grib parameters higher than 128 are center
specific.  I tried using an ECMWF table, but in there, the parameters were
max/min temps.

If your colleague could supply the real grib table to us, we could add it into
the
distribution.  I looked on the South African Weather Service web site, but
couldn't
even find a place to do a search.

Anyway, install the attached plugin and that will at least allow you to plot the
sample file you gave me (assuming they are u and v winds).

Don Murray

Ticket ID: WYJ-656722
Department: Support IDV