[Support #ZDT-182699]: PV in IDV

Hi Jim-

> I've plotted up the nam211 and the GFS 80 km (I can't recall the
> grid number).  The nam *looks* correct.  The GFS *looks* correct with
> the sign error that you mention below.

Oh, good, it's not just me. ;-)

> I'm at a loss for the cause of the sign error in the GFS.  In the
> southern hemisphere, the PV *would* be negative.  Why it is in the NH I
> don't know.  The absolute vorticity calculated from U_wind and v_wind
> looks correct and this is what determines the sign of the PV normally.
> About all I can think of is that there is some weird convention in the
> NCEP grids (like gravity being negative).

Yeah, I'll try to look more closely at the individual grids.

> Are you doing a conversion to isentropic coordinates for this or
> just using the pressure coordinate absolute vorticity?

No, I'm using the calculated THTA from T and P and the calculated AVOR from U
and V.  The existing absolute vorticity grid is only 3 levels.

Thanks for checking that at least it looks reasonable (except for the sign).
I'll dig deeper.  It's probably something simple, but for the life of me I
can't figure out what.  Maybe it is something to do with the latitude if it
should be negative in the SH.

Have a great weekend!

Don

Ticket ID: ZDT-182699