[Support #ZDT-182699]: PV in IDV

Hi Jim-

I have a met question for you.  If I negate the grid for the GFS, I get what I
would consider as correct results.  However, for the NAM, the values are then
wrong.

If you download the nightly build and run the Displays->Favorite
Bundles->NAM211->Isentropic Potential Vorticity bundle, you should get a
reasonable depiction.  Can you confirm this?

However, if you do a GFS isosurface, the values are negated.  If you set the
isosurface value to -2, it should look like the NAM 2 IPVunit surface.   The
GEMPAK formula is:

-GRAVTY*AVOR(V)*dTheta/dP

There was a note in the code that using the - gives the wrong values, but I'm
stumped as to way it works with one grid and not the other. Both are GRIB1,
both have a vertical dimension of P in hectopascals.  Any thoughts on this?

I'll keep looking into it, but thought I'd turn to a professional for some
advice.

In the meantime, you can just use the -2 isosurface for the GFS. ;-)

Don

Ticket ID: ZDT-182699