[IDV #SMS-669063]: Java error message

Hi Bernie-

> It turns out  I  only get the heap space error message when I try to
> load a full resolution GOES east northern hemisphere extended image.
> I can load a southern hemisphere image and the display shows the map
> with a box where the image should be but there is no image data
> actually displayed.  The same is true of a full disc Meteosat image -
> the map shows where the image should be but there is no image data
> displayed.

Generally, you will need to subset the large images to display them in the IDV.
 Images use up a lot of memory.  You can also increase the amount of memory
that gets allocated to the IDV or use some of the other performance tuning
tricks detailed at:

http://www.unidata.ucar.edu/software/IDV/docs/userguide/misc/PerformanceTuning.html

Good luck!

Don