[IDV #XKS-763145]: IDV memory on a Mac

Hi Ben-

> I tried to increase the memory allocation for IDV_2.7.u2 on my Intel
> Core2Duo Mac (2.66 GHz, running OS10.6.2, 4 GB DDR3 1067 MHz memory),
> following the instructions on Help (changing -Xmx512m to some higher number
> (e.g. -Xmx1024m))

If you are using the IDV item in the installation directory to start the IDV
instead of the runIDV script, you'll need to edit that PIF file.  See the
instructions at:

http://www.unidata.ucar.edu/software/idv/docs/userguide/Faq.html#memory

Were you looking at the performance tuning page?  I guess I need to update that
to reference the mac specific stuff.  If it was another page, please let me
know which one and I'll get that updated as well.

> Though I tried upgrading it to 1024 and even 1536, the memory indication at
> the bottom on my IDV window is still indicated as "533".

My guess is that you are using the IDV link instead of running runIDV.

> Do you have any other ideas?  Things are really sluggish at times,
> especially when redrawing or expanding the window.  I am loading a lot of
> data at once (satellite, radar, surface observations, time-series aircraft
> data).
>
> One other subject that I'd like to ask about.  Is it possible to subset the
> region of coverage for requested METAR data.  It seems that I always have to
> get the whole world when I only need something like Kansas and Missouri.

If you are accessing METAR data from the Surface Observations chooser, once you
load in the data, you can subset it.  Uncheck the Create Display option on the
chooser and
then after the data source is loaded, you can set the subset area using the
Data Source properties, or the Data Subset panel in the lower right portion of
the Field Selector.  You can also set the layout model rather than use the
default at that point.

Don Murray

Ticket ID: XKS-763145
Department: Support IDV